Ferritin levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondered at what ferritin level people started to feel better at? My ferrritin was 16 about 10 weeks ago. I've been on iron supplements since. I have started to feel a bit better, but just had another period and feel like gone backwards a bit :-( Not sue what my levels are now, need to ask the dr to get them tested again. Sick of thinking I'm feeling better then feeling rubbish again.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachhj34

Most Dr. are happy to see levels of 50 ng/L however, that is just a base number. Your ferritin should be much higher than that to actually feel well. I would say at least above 70ng/L. My ferritin is currently 50 and I feel terrible. Iron absorption is rather slow so try to be patient. Low doses will take forever so if your ferritin is rather low don't be afraid to take at least 200mg x 3 per day and even at those doses it will still be slow. If your period is rather heavy you will be a little behind the eight ball but be diligent with iron containing foods and take ferrous gluconate and it will gradually raise to acceptable levels. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Rachhj34

Most Dr. are happy to see levels of 50 ng/L however, that is just a base number. Your ferritin should be much higher than that to actually feel well. I would say at least above 70ng/L. My ferritin is currently 50 and I feel terrible. Iron absorption is rather slow so try to be patient. Low doses will take forever so if your ferritin is rather low don't be afraid to take at least 200mg x 3 per day and even at those doses it will still be slow. If your period is rather heavy you will be a little behind the eight ball but be diligent with iron containing foods and take ferrous gluconate and it will gradually raise to acceptable levels. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi rachhj34,

Please be careful with how much iron you are pumping into your body, you can severely hurt your liver. It's best to ask your doctor how much and how often. Also, taking iron with something citrusy will help absorption.

• Posted

Although the iron tablets state 325mg there is only 35mg of elemental iron in one tablet. The elemental portion of the iron is what will possibly be absorbed. I take the tablets with vitamin C and avoid caffeine as well. I have only double up for two weeks to get a jump start.
  • Posted

I take 3 x 210mg of ferrous fumerate a day, this has been prescribed by the doctor. I am also trying to eat more iron rich foods. I take my tablets with fresh orange juice and I also take a slow release vit c tablet twice a day.
  • Posted

I hear ya!  Mine was at 16 a month ago also but after a few back to back earthquakes that were fairly strong woke me up two days in a row, I sunk back down right after the holidays.. Stress will deplete iron too so try and rest a lot.  And since I can't seem to store iron, I've been doubling my iron daily with tons of vitamin C, healthy omega 3s and D3.  I also take MSM with my C.  It took about a week which was this past Saturday where I was actually able to do a little something without feeling like I just donated a gallon of blood.  I too gave up caffeine. Anything chocolate is in moderation but wait four hours after taking iron.  Try to read positive affirmations and meditate even while laying down. Every negative thought that comes into your mind, immediately cover it with a positive thought...doesn't even have to be on the same subject. Think of something loving or funny.

Our minds are everything! See yourself feeling and looking healthy. Remember, you are the boss of your thoughts and can change that channel anytime. 

Im so glad I'm not alone in this fight!  We are going to make it! 

God is blessing you now! 

• Posted

Hey there Rach how is the iron doing now? xx had it affected your hair at all? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.