Ferritin Levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All!  The doctor discovered that my iron and ferritin levels were low last fall though I have felt terrible for years.  I have chest pain, tingling left arm and hand, brain fog, headaches every day and my heart rate goes to 195 even when I'm just power-walking! I've even been referred to the cardiologist who says my heart is fine.   Last year, the doctor said that I was on the "verge" of a transfusion but he put me on iron instead, and for maybe every month I was going in to have blood drawn.  It finally reached a normal level and I was able to go off of the iron.  Well, on summer break I started to feel poorly again and what do you know?  Ferritin level: 11.  Hemo level 14.  So, I went from one pill a day to 2...this was 6 weeks ago.  Now, my hemo is 12.1 and ferritin is a wapping 28.6! I don't understand how/why the hemoglobin dropped.  I have since visited with a hematologist who believes that iron infusions will help with these symptoms that I am still having though my chest doesn't hurt as severely.  Is 28.6 still too low, especially since I am still symptomatic and still have a cycle?  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Haemogloblin goes up and down. I hear it can take 3 months to recycle blood so your results may reflect from before you started the iron. Do you kniw your iron levels?
    • Posted

So, the nurse called me back because the receptionist had given me the information.  I wanted to be 100% sure.  My ferritin, which the nurse called iron was 28.5, TIBC-278, iron saturation 16% and hemoglobin 12.1.  It looks like the two pills a day brought the ferritin up a lot from 11(6 weeks ago) to 28 and the iron from 14.6 to 16.  I didn't initially have the TIBC numbers.  I really thought some of these names were synonymous.  I am thinking that she is referring to the ferritin as iron in regard to my iron stores. which the doctor said should be near 40-50 for me to feel better.  

• Posted

Is your TIBC 278 or 78? Ferritin of 28.5 is low but within "range". Try to get your ferritin to at least 70. Below that some women experience hair loss.

The reason I asked about your iron levels was because your ferritin can go up but iron down at the same time. This can lead to iron deficiency anaemia which doctors often overlook. Checking the haemogloblin levels checks your not anaemic.  

• Posted

It's 278; the nurse said that the "normal" range is 260-400 and that I am low-normal. My hair has been super dry for almost two years. My iron was low prior to the pills but has come up since, so I'm not anemic anymore. He, the doctor, has scheduled me for iron infusions.

• Posted

That's really good news. My ferritin went up to the 400s after two infusions. 

The reason I was asking about the tibc was to estimate your iron which I have as 8. When it goes below 7 they have to give an infusion. But you've got that sorted now.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.