Ferritin levels dropping too fast?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Newbie here, found out I was homozygous H63D in January with a ferritin level at 483.  I have since given blood twice in 5 months and my ferritin has dropped to 63. 

I was told that my ferritin levels should drop by about 30 each time so I was expecting to be at about 420.

Should I count my blessings that my level dropped so fast?  Or is something else going on here that I should worry about?  Thanks for you help on this as I has got me a bit worried.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I started at 612 and only took 6 goes to get below 50. Everyone's different, I wouldn't worry.

If you want reassurance you can ask for your transferrin saturation to be measured.

• Posted

Thanks for the quick response Outremer84!  

My saturation was at 37% in January and is down to 30% now.

• Posted

Well, at least they're both going in the right direction!

Hope you feel better for it.

• Posted

I seem to remember reading that H63D is quicker to deiron.
    • Posted

Really?  I was looking for infomation on that just now!

• Posted

I can’t remember where I saw it but it could have been the Iron Disorders Institute. Perhaps others could back me up. Also,there’s a good UK Haemochromatosis support group on Facebook. I’m C282Y/C282Y so it took longer.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm also a homozygous H63D. My ferritin was 2000+ when I started  and it took 25 venesections to de-iron and my ferritin level dropped to 25. My ferretin did not drop evenly it was step wise, it would go down a little or sometimes even go up a bit and then drop a couple of hundred points and level out again.

Most Docs have little to no experience dealing with a H63D homozygote, and a lot of them will swear that we will not load iron. It took a liver biopsy showing 4+ iron deposition and liver damage for them to admit I was loading iron.

Don't worry sounds like they diagnosed you before any damage was done.

I would not worry apparent

• Posted

jwrhn, yes, homozygous H63D is deemed to be fairly harmless, and some countries don't accept that you really have haemochromatosis.  They will say the high ferritin is caused by something else going on.

My husband is homozygous H63D and when diagnosed (because our son was diagnosed C282Y/H63D - I am homozygous C282Y) with a ferritin level of 552 in his early 50s (husband).  His ferritin level reduced quickly after a few venesections.  Then he got Hodgkins Lymphoma (but that is another story) and his ferritin never rose again.

Yep, everyone is different.

• Posted

It can vary 30 is a guide number that is used when numbers run lower but for some people there first few sessions they can drop large amounts.

I saw someone who had 900 and had a 1 session every 2 weeks after 3 months he was down to 326 but then he really went slow it took 7 months to get to 119.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.