ferritin low on next blood test

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.. just had my blood test results 3 weeks after i finished loading injections results are

B12 812

Folate 8.5

Ferritin 10 (15-200) normal range..

Anyone else experienced a decline in ferritin levels due to b12 jabs.. before them it was 36.. still low end but not a cause for concern.. could i be right in thinking that my iron stores are being used up to repair damaged cells with the b12?

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Once b12 has metabolised to your cells the body uses ferritin (iron stores) to produce new blood cells. A ferritin level of around 80 is best.

Keep an eye on folate too as b12 uses folate to become active and transfer to cells. Potassium can become low too. Your b12 has dropped very quickly. You need more injections.

• Posted

Thank you. So its a normal occurance for ferritin to drop? And what do you mean by my b12 levels have dropped i need more jabs? Confused as its quite high. X
    • Posted

After loading you would expect a level above 1500. Yours has already dropped below 1000 within 3 weeks. Repair is best with a level consistently above 1000. Yes ferritin does drop during b12 treatment as their is a higher demand on iron.
    • Posted

Thanks. Gp rang and gave me 322mg of iron tabs to be taken twice a day.. repeat bloods in 4 weeks

Can i ask how your so knowledgable on this?? I feel like i trust your words over my gp atm.

• Posted

I have studied b12 deficiency for 2 years. I was misdiagnosed as having FND. Since my diagnosis 3 generations of my family have been diagnosed. Health professionals receive inadequate training which has led me to starting a b12 charity to provide accredited b12 training to health professionals. I also run a b12 awareness group in face book. The b12 wake up group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.