Ferritin raised by alcohol?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having venesections for a year and started off 1,000+. I know the amount ferritin goes down reduces as you approach maintenance but it has only gone down by 10 the last few times,15 before that. I went on holiday recently and wondered if the extra alcohol consumption coupled with my regular 30 units per week have been supporting the ferritin levels. I know we are all different but is there an average amount that ferritin goes down per day you don’t drink or do you need to abstain for weeks before it reduces?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My ferritin started at 1887. Two months ago it was 40. I drank almost every night, 4 drinks a night, and after two months my ferritin only went up to 45. 

Diet and alcohol consumption has very little to do with ferritin levels. My doctor told me this also.

• Posted

Thanks for that,Chris.Perhaps it’s due to arthritis or some other issue.I’ll discount the alcohol scenario.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.