Ferrous Fumarate 325mg capsules & Bisoprolol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone

This is my first post in this forum, I have checked for the answer to my question in previous posts but cannot find anything. So I hope not to waste you're time and hope there is someone else on here who can help with my query.

I have just been prescribed 325mg ferrous fumarate for iron deficiency anaemia. I already take 5mg per day of the beta blocker Bisoprolol for Atrial Fibrillation. My question is, is there any interactions between these two medications? Should it take them at different times of the day?, do they stop each other working as well as they should in any way or form?.

Hopefully the doctor who prescribed them would have told me if there was any interactions but I thought I'd check if there was any folk on here taking the same tablets who can speak from they're own personal experience.

Thank you Guys!!

Andy.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't know but if you take 2 hours apart. Should give you stomach enough time to clear.  Take the iron with orange juice. 

• Posted

There are free webpages that you can check for drug interactions, they are on the extreme save side though. ;-)

I checked for you "Drug interactions between bisoprolol and calcium / ferrous fumarate / vitamin d" (all 3 come up at once)

Using bisoprolol together with calcium carbonate (and ferrous fumarate) may decrease the effects of bisoprolol.

Separate the administration times of bisoprolol and calcium carbonate by at least 2 hours. If your doctor does prescribe these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special test to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

So yes, can be taken together,

but space them at least 2 hours apart.

In doubt ask doc or pharmacist as they can be pinned down for their opinion. ;-)

• Posted

Thank you Sanya & Jenny for you're help. What I'll do then I think is take the iron in the morning and beta blocker at tea time. Am taking the iron with vitamin C supplement to up the absorption rate too.

• Posted

Hi Andrew, I take both, take iron three times a day, the morning dose I take with bisoprolol, had no problems whatsoever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.