Ferrous Fumerate.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

In June I had some blood tests done and it was found that I have low Ferritin (8) and low Folate (2.something).

I have been prescribed Ferrous Fumerate 210mgs. I only take 1-2 a day due to my IBS and constipation and cramps.

I also have Folic Acid 5mgs 1daily.

I think recently my Gerd/LPR is back and was wondering if anyone used Gaviscon or Ranitidine along side the Ferrous Fumerate?

Some website say don't take them together and some websites say it's okay as long as you don't take them at the same time 🤔

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was very anaemic with low ferritin, and took my lanzaprozole at the same time as my iron tablets. After a gastroscopy which found out I had four gastric ulcers, I had it quadrupled and still took ferrous sulphate x 3 every day for three months. Lanzaprozole is a PPI, but inhibits stomach acid , same as ranitidine. Gaviscon is fine to take alongside iron.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

Think I'm going to have to take some Gaviscon today no matter what as its horrible at the moment.

• Posted

Years ago when I had a reflux that kept me awake at night, gaviscon didn't help me at all. My gp prescribed a liquid medicine that floaated on the top of your stomach contents, so if anything came back up into your oesophagus, it was the medicine. I had problems with my valve not closing and when I lay down it was bad.

I'll try to think of the name and come back and post it if I can. It was really effective, and basically cured the burning. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.