Fev1 and FVC results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have chronic obstructive asthma overlap and was going over my spirometry test results from 11 years ago. I was curious what the below means:

2005: FVC=92 & FEV1=65

2016: FVC=65 % FEV1=81 (post bronchodilator was 94). Can anyone tell me what these scores mean? My next appointment is in 2 weeks. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Elizabeth -- Having read the few stats you presented, it might be useful googling "spirometry results" for an array of answers. And Nursing Times possibly provides the most informative basic interpretation data.

I find the contrast between 2005 and the present quite revealing: If correct, it suggests your lung capacity (size) has reduced over 10 years. Yet your forced expiratory volume is markedly improved.

For my part I would be curious to learn if your exercise routine has dropped off over those 10 years. 

• Posted

HI David, Thank you for your reply and I will check out Nursing Times  - I think it is very odd too - especially now that I have been a semi- runner for the past 3 years (well, 1.5-3 miles/day) I was perplexed by the changes - please note in the past I NEVER execrised. I will say that I am under extreme stress and anxiety and was during my last test that was 2 weeks ago -  I have had asthma for 16 years and was just diagonsed with COAS - which my doctor said I have had all along...
  • Posted

If you have a copy of your full test results.  Go here:

https://patient.info/doctor/spirometry-calculator

scrolling down that page is an explanation of the abbreviations, for a true interpretion of your results and comparisons, you really need to consult with you doctor to get a clear understanding of your spirometry results.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Hi V,

Thank you so much! I am going over all of this with my pulmonary doctor in 2 weeks - I will hopefully get some resoulution on this. 

Best wishes,

elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.