FEV1 PLEASE READ

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

firstly I want to thank Tessa the moderator, for all the feedback she replied back with to me.

Those of you who have had your copd diagnosis for many years, can you please tell me, how your fev1 is affected.

What I mean is mine is 52% before ventolin and 62- 66 % after ventolin.

I was only recently diagnosed. I'm 42 and my life feels like its over. For three months now, since finding out, I am obessed by my condition. It's all I think about, I've even lost a friend due to my worries.

FEv1 I have read reduces every single year, is that realy true. When you have your spirometry tests, do you find that they have always dropped. ?

Tessa seems to be doing very well, I am so pleased for her, myself, I am just so so scared. I had so much to look forward to over the next 30 years or so. I take after my dad, and all on his side live to between 77 - 90 plus. But I still don't think I can make it to 50, well maybe just past 50.

I'm also scared incase my fev1 drops even faster than the normal, considering mines just over 50% thats been a very fast decline ?

Are any of you say around 50years of age who were diagnosed around the age of 42. How well have you done in keeping well and not losing much fev1, were you around 50% fev1 when you were around 42 years of age. and what are you like now at say 50 years of age.

I know my GP says I can reach old age, but its not that I do not believe him, its that in the last 3 months I have spend 100s of hours online and have found nothing positive which says there is nothing stopping me reaching my 60s/ 70s etc. All of it gives me 10 years at the most.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Paul,- you are so lucky to have been diagnosed at the mild stage of copd. Most people dont find out until they are at the moderate to severe stages.

I was diagnosed 3 months ago too. My FEV1 was 29%. I stopped smoking and last week was retested and scored a much better 40%. Im 55 years old and hope to last into my 70's. By the way, when you see FEV1 scores referred to, these are always done after ventolin. Anyhow, whichever way you look at it you are in the mild stage. This next line is directly quoted from the book \"COPD for Dummies\" -; \"Your prognosis is best when copd is detected in its mild stage. Long term survival rates of people with mild copd are only slightly lower than the survival rates of people who dont have copd\". It also says \"diet and exercise may be the most effective ways to keep your copd in the mild category\" (along with not smoking of course).

Hope this may have been of some help. All the best, Vanessa :wink:

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

thanks for your reply. I'm pleased that your fev1 increased.

Can you tell me please, do you get very SOB. When you were at 27% were you getting very breathless.

Have you been refered to a consultant, and pulmary rehab. ?.

All I was given was the spirometry test and a leaflet about copd. Nothing else at all.

I' see that your in Cornwall. I'm suprised with all that fresh sea air that anyone in Cornwall gets lung problems.

Enjoy your weekend

Paul

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

no I have not been refered to anybody, all I was given was a leaflet and sent on my way, no advice, no nothing.

I am so scared, all I do each day is google copd, I have no life anymore, its all I think about and all I talk about.

Everything I have read only gives me 10 years at the most, I'm sure they knew about this in 2005, but did not tell me, I had a spirometry test back then, the nurse who took it, said the numbers were down and not to worry. No advice on stopping smoking, no mention of copd. I had not heard about it untill march this year.

I wake up in the night after copd nightmares, pouring with sweat, shaking with fear, then I google it all day, everyday. Trying to find hope.

• Posted

hi paul just found this web site lol seems like theres a lot of us scared to death. i smoked isnce 11 and am 54 now and struggling for breath all the time. been bk on nebulizer today and now steriods for 5 days and antibiotics again and with this swine flu im a bit worried.

my chest seems to be permanatley aching from coughing and trying to breath. i have just been given new inhaler that u put a tablet in its for copd going to start it tomorrow so will let you no if it works.[/b]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.