Fever after discharge from hospital

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was discharged after being in the hospital for two days with severe diverticulitis. I also developed cystitis yesterday as well. Today I have a low grade fever 99.3 and I'm already starting to worry. I have out a call in to my doctor. Is this normal? Please help!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, You can feel feverish with cystitis. Are you in any pain ?

You definitely need to see your doctor in case it's the DD .

Drink plenty of water.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I am in pain but they said that could last two weeks. I talked to the nurse and she talked to my doctor. They said a low grade fever is normal and I have a follow up appointment on Friday. They sent me home with a 5 day course of antibiotics. I also didn't have any diet restrictions in the hospital and I think that made it worse. I'm going to try a liquid diet and very bland foods. When I eat it hurts.

• Posted

Hi Kim I'm sorry you are feeling poorly. It may be that the hospital was a little premature discharging you after only 2 days. That sounds insufficient to get you responding to antibiotics etc which I guess you are now on. Yes see doctor soon and try and get temperature down with paracetamol. Good luck to you regards Pete

• Posted

Paracetamol is a pain reliever and it helps to lower your temperature.

I'm in the UK .I was sent home with antibiotics last week after only one

night in hospital.. I too was on solid food which hurt to eat so I didn't eat

for 3 days . Liquid diet will help you to start healing . The hospital always

sends me home too soon . I don't think they realise how poorly DD makes

us feel. Hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you Linda. I have to eat something because the antibiotics make me sick. Last night I tried jello and a piece of wheat bread. I also have bananas. I still feel like crap. Last night I went to bed with a severe headache and I'm not sure that it wasn't from all the medication. Are you better now?

• Posted

I'm starting to feel better. Starting to eat a bit more normally now,

though still only snacking really .

It takes me ages to get back to what is normal for me .

Hope you start to feel better soon, if not go to A&E .

Not eating gives me headaches .

• Posted

I felt bad after the wheat bread, jello, and banana. I'm not sure what to eat at this point. I have anti nausea medicine they told me I could take so I just did. I don't want to keep using all these medications. I think it's messing my stomach up. sad

• Posted

Sounds as though you still have infection. You should do a 999, NOW  .You were released far too early
    • Posted

I've been taking my temperature regularly since then and it's been normal and I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. I'm just going to keep an eye on myself. I think I'm ok. I just still feel bad. I am still on the antibiotics too.

• Posted

I was released after one day of IV antibiotics . I couldn't eat but was still

sent home . My pain was bad too. They just want you out and I'm sure

they don't realise how bad we feel .

I was told " you know how it works , here's some antibiotics, Bye !

• Posted

Where did you get that appalling treatment  ???? You should have had a word with PAWS they are there to help patients xx
    • Posted

My nurses and doctors were for the most part great with the exception of one nurse who was always Moody and short. I was on a cardiac floor and maybe she thought I was a waste of time there. They put me there because of the potassium problem and what it can do to the heart. I have never heard of PAWS either is that a patient advocacy thing?
    • Posted

I have been hospitalised numerous times with severe diverticulitis

and the treatment is always the same . I've lost count of the number of

times I've been sent home almost crying with the pain .

They always tell me to eat normally in hospital which I can't do so I

don't eat while in there . I dread having to go in !

• Posted

We are going to have to sort you out from scratch. you can't go on like this, 

you will have to remember from day one, what started the god awful pains. and ,all the following pains that put you into hospital Can't remember if you were one of the gang on DIVI DINERS ,I started that because I was frightened to death about every single concerning D.D 

but over the months ,every body told their stories and suggested what to do and what not to do, until  I am no longer afraid of it ,and have it under control , and have been ,except for a couple of hiccoughs ,in four years,

So. Lets start to get you on the mend,  xx

• Posted

I would love someone to sort me out Jacqueline .

My pain always seems to start after a bowel movement . I always use antibacterial wipes and wipe front to back so don't understand it.

I'm on a very restricted diet which seems ok .I have flairs on a regular basis.

I do feel very depressed with it has just getting over one bout and another starts !

• Posted

It is easy to get depressed.  I do often but trying some mindfulness to help me cope. I'm not good at switching off but will give it a go.

• Posted

Morning Linda,the wipes are of no consequence, you use them properly which stops you getting any water infections.. The problem is "inside",Have you had the camera job, ? There is a shorter one called a Sigmoidoscopy,which doesn't go very far up your colon.You may have some pouches that carry infection,do they ever give you a follow up colonoscopy to see if the infection has gone. ? Who has put you on the restricted diet. ?  After my camera job, I was told to eat normally. But as they frightened the like out me in the first place, I was a tad wary .

you really need a chat with someone about these constant flairs, they are not happening for on reason .... I wrote to the consultant who was overseeing ,me, and asked to see him, as no letter came after my colonoscopy. explaining anything .ring his secretary first, explain the problem, and ask for her help in getting to see him.. I saw mine don't put this off Linda ,,you have to start somewhere, and it's usually best to start at the top.

Your eats need delving into next .xx, 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline

I have had 2 sigmoidoscpies which showed severe DD .

No follow ups after each flair . My hospital consultants just don't listen,

they keep sending me home in pain . They say nothing can be done for me .

Had a letter recently to say stay on Fibogel which I took for years , it doesn't

help me . I have IBS too which makes it so hard to eat much . I saw a dietician

who said I'm malnourished but can't help as I just can't tolerate much food .

Thanks for your help. I get so down with it all x

• Posted

Have you thought about going privately and see a consultant who will at least spend time with you and suggest the way forward for you.  You can't spend the rest of your life like this. 

• Posted

I have mild IBS, gerd, Barrett's esophagus, a hiatal hernia, and diverticulitis and currently cystitis. I am also having a horrible time trying to figure out what to eat. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow. Hopefully I can see the dietician as well and she can help.

• Posted

I did see a private consultant a while ago and all they would do

is another sigmoidoscopy which I've already had .

Wii ask my GP if he can get me an appointment with someone

to see if they can give me an idea on why I keep getting these flairs .

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.