Fever and chills

Posted , 9 users are following.

Experiencing major flare tonight. Woke from my sleep with fever and rigours and hurt from head to toes. Anybody else experience this very often?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, this is for Eileen:  just readin this thread with interest, and want to say that every slight withdrawal I've done since getting below 9 mg, has felt like a flare. I concluded from this emerging pattern that the withdrawal symptoms are like flares, but usually settle within a week.  

However, I've been worried since starting pred, about lowered immunity to infections, to which my GP just laughed and said the steroids will kill the infection, don't worry.  So I've had a permanent drippy nose since starting on pred.  My question then is what's true about pred killing infections, or is it leaving people more vulnerable to bugs?  Ps in my withdrawal weeks, the sweats and chills are usually worse. 

• Posted

Oh dear - where did THAT GP learn her pharmacology and bacteriology! Pred will deal with any inflammation - but not the infection that is causing it. What it will do is make any inflammation that comes with an infection less obvious and sometimes you might not even be aware of having an infection - the sore throat, bunged up chest and nose or the cystitis part of a UTI. That can also mean that an infection you are aware of seems quite mild when it isn't really. Any infection that lasts longer than usual or if you feel really unwell with it should be seen by a doctor, just in case. But no, the pred WON'T kill the bugs.

However, the sort of immunosuppression they are on about tends to be at much higher doses than you are on now Margaret and there isn't any need to worry too much. I suppose I've been lucky, I've had very few colds while on pred. 

The drippy nose COULD be the pred - quite a few people have mentioned it as something they've had with pred. It may not be the pred itself but the fillers used to make the tablets. If it were an allergy the pred would help that - at higher doses of pred I could eat wheat, now I'm down low enough for it not to stop the itches.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen for clearing that one up for me.  Although this GP was the only GP over a 2 year period who instantly identified Pmr, I have wondered about his level of knowledge.  He hasn't given any guidance at all on pred and side effects or what to expect when reducing.  He also says I don't need a blue card, whilst my Chemist says he's wrong. 

I have to say though, having the diagnosis and starting on pred has given me back my life literally.  I'm so grateful for that.  Now, if only there was better info out there on the medication and managing it ..... 

Your threads ads have been so helpful Eileen. thank you. 

• Posted

Hi Kimberly

i get the chills and fever sometimes and it's usually when I've forgotten to take my press in the morning after breakfast. Forgotten a couple of times and as the day went on I started with the flu like symptoms and realised I hadn't taken them. But today I have woken up with the shivers and a sore upper jaw and a few aches and pains. Took some paracetamol when I had my press so hopefully may feel better again soon. Strange illness. 

• Posted

Hi Susan,

​yes it's a very strange illness. In my case my CRP and ESR are elevated when I get these fever and chills episodes. When were your levels last checked? Hope you feel better. Hugs

• Posted

There is some thought that the autoimmune part of the PMR/GCA isn't steady, it cycles, having more and less active phases. That would fit with episodes of fever and chills coinciding with raised inflammatory markers. All the pred is doing is managing those symptoms, it does nothing for the underlying autoimmune disorder - if it is more and less active then you will need more or less pred to manae those symptoms. Won't you?
  • Posted

Hi Kimberly

i was checked a couple of months ago and was able to drop from 7mg to 6mg. I'm due another check in middle of December. I feel better tonight. The chills have gone now but feel tired. My jaw isn't as sore either. Thanks for your concern. 

• Posted

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm sitting by the phone waiting for rheumy to call with my bloodwork results from this morning. Hopefully they are on the decline with the 50mg of prednisone. Take care/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.