Fexofenadine

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI everyone

After having been taken off the hydroxyzine because of an extended QT interval, then reverting to cetirizine, which was useless, I've now been put on Fexofenadine, only started it yesterday.  I'd be interested to hear from any of you who have tried it and how it worked, side effeccts, positive effects etc etc.  Just as a reminder I suffer from bad hayfever, asthama, and allergic skin conditions

Love 

Lizzie xxx

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Lizzie

Im on Cetirizine and find it useless. My hayfever affects my eyes in that they swell up! i was given Fexofenadine before this but found it made me incredible tired so i stopped taking it. But it didnt seem to work either. Hoping when i go bk to the dr for the 3rd time they will give me steroid eye drops or something as tablets dont work.

• Posted

I started on a lower dose of Fexofenadine. I Googled doses allowed for this medication, and read that for Urticaria, higher doses were given. I did not have Urticaria, and had this discussion with my GP and he agreed to give me 180mg of Fexofenidine, it is the best Antihistamine for me, having tried so many others. I have Ryhinitis all year round and when I go on holiday abroad, still with me.

Regards Maureen 

• Posted

Thank you both for your helpful replies.  It's too early to say if the fexofendine is going to help, the first day I tried it at night but that didn't work well, so this morning I've taken it before breakfast and have moved my omeprazole to mid day as the omeprazole reduces the effectiveness of the fexofendaine.  My hayfever has been worse this year than ever, I use the oticrom eye drops which really help but I intensely dislike the nasal sprays.  For my skin conditions I use fucibet cream, which is very helpful, but I'mquite cautious about anything with asteroids in because their side effects.  I take ventolin for my asthma by the way.  I have lots of mental health problems too so am on a right cocktail of meds!

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Flutiform is my Asthma (Preventor) inhaler, I have not had the need for my reliever since I started Flutiform. My previous Preventor stopped being of help. My nasal spray is Dymista, it helps except it does give a taste about 10 minutes after. 

Regards Maureen

• Posted

Hi Maureen

Thanks for your reply.  I spoke to my gp on the phone today and he is going to prescribe the Opticrom eye drops for me, which help, as well as a Beconase nasal spray, which I've not tried before, I think its steroid based so I'll be cautious but if it helps it will be worth it to stop sneezing.  I've stayed in all day today with the windows shut and feel fine but I can't do that all the time.

Thanks again

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

I have used Fenofexadine for the past 3 summers also with nasonex nasal spray. The Fenofexadine have been the first tablets that have totally controlled my hay fever and have been very pleased with them However, this year I am suffering terribly with my hay fever despite starting my meds before symptoms arose etc. I am hoping to see my GP on Monday to see if there is anything else I can try. I have had hay fever for over twenty years now and the only success I have had is from having Kenalog injection, which totally eliminated all symptoms fro approx six months! Unfortunately, GP's do not give this treatment willingly as there are other health risks through having it.

Hopefully you will get some good results with the Fenofexadine as I did. I'm not sure if I have become resiliant to it or whether due to pollen levels being so high??

Good luck

Jane x

• Posted

Hi Jinnie

Thanks for yopur post.  I'm doing OK thank you, the fexofendine seems to be working well so far combined with opticrom eye drops and beconase nasal spary, both recent additions for me.  I was outside all yesterday in the sun and was hardly bothered at all, its a bit of a miracle really.  I take all my meds when I wake up failry early, about 5 or 6 am, and that sets me up for the day, maybe needing a second squirt of nasal spray and some more eye drops later on if things get bad.

I've never heard of the kenalog injection, what sort of med is it?

I know pollen levels have been ridiculously high this year I've really suffered until getting the things I mentioned a week ago.

Hope you aren't doing too bad yourselfand good luck with your gp

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

Great to hear the Fenofexadine are starting to work! The Kenalog injection is a steroid of some form, it can have neagtive health implications as it supresses the immune system, which can leave you prone to other infections. It can also affect bone density I believe. I have had it only 3 times over the past 15 years, the last time was 8 years ago. I asked for it again but my GP refused as he felt it wasn't worth the risk to my overall health (I am generally a health person anyway). I think it ca be prescribed by private clinics at a cost of course. I think it is a last resort solution, but for me it worked so well, for those summers I did not have any symptoms whatsoever!

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on at the GP next week...fingrs crossed!

• Posted

One more thing, the Nasonex spray I used was great at first but, this year I have had to stop using it because my nose was so sore Iit caused a nose bleed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.