Fib/tib ankle fx - from cast to sneaker?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi ,

on 7/28 I suffered a fib/ tib spiral fx into the ankle. I have a plate and 13 screws. I also had a post op infection so I never had a full cast only the back of the cast which was wrapped in ace bandage so I could treat the infection daily. So today is 8 weeks and I was told to remove my half cast, put on a sneaker and walk! 

Has anyone gone from cast to sneaker? 

What to expect?

thanks to all,

sue

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sue, I am so sorry to hear about your infection! I had two plates put in my ankle with 13 screws with a cast for about weak then just a wrap but no weight barring for about 6 weeks. Then an air cast for another 6 weeks. I was then told to start walking but I found I could only wear boots, (thank god it was winter time). Anyway, I had a lot of pain, swelling, and more pain. After year and half I got the plates out. I had instant relief and less swelling but its been over year and the pain is just now starting to subside. Of course, I am older and have had prior injuries along with a head injury with the ankle surgery. I hope all goes well for you. Take your time. Only you know your body?

Julie

• Posted

Hi Julie , glad to hear you have relief now. Such a long time .

i too am older -57. I was NWB for the 8 weeks and do not know what to expect. I almost want a boot! Lol. My ankle feels frozen, my toes only flex down - ugh! Wondering if I'll ever be the same again?

sue

• Posted

Dear Sue: Sorry I haven't been back with you. Please see another

doctor. I knew something wasn't right with my ankle but I continued

with the orginal surgeon. Over a year I suffered with swelling, stiffness,

pain so severe; I wanted to cut my ankle off. Finally, I went to see

another surgeon and without even looking at an exray he said,

"Doesn't that hurt"? and then he asked me, "What are you doing

next week"? Five days later I was getting another surgery on that

ankle. It was hard, painful, and exhausting, but it was well worth it.

If your body is having pain, swelling, redness, and not getting better

never feel bad to tell your orginal doctor that you are going to

seek another opinion!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.