Fiber problem

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been having chronic constipation and it's caused me an anal fissure lately 

if anyone can recommend me the best source of fibers or any advice to get through this 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

sarahele199

Its not just eating a good fibre it's about eating an all round good diet. Plenty of veggies, fruit, salads, proteins and fibre. The best fibre you can eat is the skins from fruits and veg..i.e jacket pots, baked apple, roast veggies (washed first and roast in skins) ....also cereal and wholemeal and grain bread i.e granary, sesame ...and wholemeal and grain cereals.....plenty of water....and I found a good hot cup of strong tea helps constipation..plus all the foregoing.....best wishes

• Posted

Thanks alot for your advice Lilian I'll try to do all what you said and hopefully the suffering ends cos this constipation is painful and it's making me depressed 
    • Posted

Hi sarahhelle199

Obviously you are prone to constipation so if I were you I would get gluten free bread....and cereal.....also gluten free rice and pasta from gluten free section in tesco and other supermarkets......try this diet change and if the constipation persists you should go see your gp and tell him/her about the fact you changed your diet and still have constipation...he /she may diagnose IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)..but try your new eating plan for at least a month to see if there is change with your bowel movement.........best wishes...bon appetite....

• Posted

Sori sarahelle

I forgot to mention use quorn protein mince, chicken for a bolognese and chilli con carni meals etc...

• Posted

Take some extra soluble fiber not insoluble and drink more water
  • Posted

Hi Marielle

If it is IBS, of which constipation is a symptom, you need to look at the diet sheet on the website for South Manchester Functional Bowel Service, Wythenshawe Hospital; http://www.ibs-care.org/pdfs/diet_sheet.pdf

You would need to avoid cereal fibre and it is suggested cutting out fruits except bananas to avoid sugars, I think, as well as all but root vegetables to see if they affect the digestive system.

Gluten free is for coeliac disease and it is soluble fibre that is sustainable.  The inside of the wheat husk, i.e. white flour, is digestable but not the outside, as in wholemeal and brown bread.

With all best wishes

Judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.