Fibro and eye problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi 

Does anyone struggle with getting an optician to understand fibro. Having probs with burning eyes and eyes not focussing. Also throbbing pain in eye like severe headache. Went to optician today and all I need is varifocals ! When explained re moving neck and back pain, that was rubbish. Discussed using computer and work and was told to ignore workstation assessment and just use laptop and bend my neck ! Does anyone else have these problems ? Anyone in the midlands have an understanding and knowledgeable optician ? Pain free hugs xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

yes i had trouble, mine just told me it was the medication and i shouldn't take half of them, he also told me to stop smoking x
    • Posted

Having just said that I haven't had any problems with Specsavers, they do occasionally spout rubbish!  But if you know enough about your condition, you will know when they are spouting rubbish and it is because they don't know and don't like to admit it.

The Optometrist told me that one of the conditions that I have manifests itself as something or other, [Twaddle!!]  I can't even rememeber now but he followed that by telling me that he wasn't medically qualified - which is worth remembering.

• Posted

Hi Jill,

dry eyes are a symptom of fibromyalgia, when I went to the Hospital for my yearly check  I was told I had dry eyes, and they do feel  sore and run quite a bit , I was given Hylo forte eyes drops and they do help. Did the optician mention dry eyes.

Fibro does affect the neck back and shoulders, you probably need some gentle  stretching exercises, 

Best wishes

Pat

• Posted

Hi Pat, we did discuss dry eyes and have drops for them , it's this awful burning and throbbing. And blurred vision. Use the comp all day at work and struggling at the min, sad  I get stiff sitting, so get up from desks very 20 mins .  Would like to get eyes sorted as yet another fibro thing ! Hope you're doing ok xxx 
  • Posted

Are you on any medications that may cause blurry vision, because the side effects of some do.

I tried several antidepressants and all I got was the side effects and no benefits, the last one Duluxetine made my fibro really bad, and it is still is.

It must be tough sitting in front of a computer all day, and with fibro it must be torture,

I am 78 and thankfully way over retirement age

• Posted

Hi Jill, sorry to hear about your optician.  I don't have fibro but do understand about it.  I have also mystery shopped many opticians over the years and this month they are obviously being told to plug varifocals!  Some months it will be contact lenses.

I do know of a very good optician, though not of much use to you, he is in Fishguard!  However, he told me, that he advised his clients/patients NOT to buy varifocals if they have any neck problem at all because of the limited movement you might have.

I currently go to Specsavers and am aware that they can vary from branch to branch but, on the whole, I have never had any problems with them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.