Fibro and polymyalgia

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had both the above for a long time. the hospital consultant took months to work

out regime and found that one 5mg tablet of Predisone kept worse symptoms of

Polymyalgia at bay. if i don't take this then after a few days I can't even do my hair etc.

everyone is trying to stop this tablet even though most others have been tried and failed

does anyone know of any other medication which might work. Unfortunately, I have an

allergic reaction to gabapentin,pregabalin, etc. Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi i am at the moment taking Hemp oil it does seem to help i will try your

tablet hope it works if the try the oil

• Posted

Good morning! I also have both....not many people do. it is hard to manage. I have not found anything other than prednisone that helps my PMR. Currently on 9 mg. Have been down to 3.5 mg. I tried CBD and it did nothing to help either. BEST WISHES to you!

• Posted

thank you for replying Linda. unfortunately i also have distopaenia , IDD and bad

osteoarthritis. the GP's etc fail to take into account the side effects of fibro and poly

together and the sometimes unbearable pain and exhaustion that goes with this.

It took many years to get diagnosed as for a long time they told me "it is all in the

mind" lol . It was a very young newly qualified doctor who actually listened and then

told me "I know what's wrong with you - Fibromyalgia". I then developed separate

symptoms which affected the top of my body. I couldn't wash /comb my hair or go to

loo in my own.the only thing that got it under control was a large dose of steroids. This turned out to be polymyalgia.

These were tapered off gradually and have been on one tablet daily which helps

with the upper body problems. For the back and fibro pains I am on SR Tramadol 200 morning and evening. i feel these are addictive but there is nothing else ????

i do wish you well and feel there should be a separate group for those of us who

have both of these "algias" Kind regards. carrob

• Posted

Hello, again! I take hydrocodone for my fibromylgia.... 5 mg four times a day. Doesn't take away the pain and stiffness, but is helps me cope so I can make it through a day. I imagine it is addictive, too. I am 73 and have been diagnosed with PMR for 5 years. I know I have had fibro for a long time but wasn't diagnosed until 3 years ago. Took a long time. I also have osteoarthritis in my back and neck, diabetes, IBS, and other things probably related to fibro. Prednisone is the only thing that helps my PMR. It has been a challenge for doctors and me to figure this all out.

I had allergic reaction to gabapentin and cymbalta. It has been a roller coaster.

I sure hope all goes well for you! ♥♥

• Posted

I was on a decreasing dose of prednisalone fir three years, I came off in April but had a flare up several weeks ago, and once again I am on steroids, reducing to a maintenance dose which I know I will be on now for many years, they do work for me and I am symptom free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.