Fibro and sensitivities to the senses

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just looking for comments/ suggestions/ advice on some things I find that bother me the most with Fibro

Touch sensitivity

I'm not even going to go here

Sound sensitivity

How do you make friends and build relationships with people when you don't always have an answer to "what kind of music do you like?!" In my opinion, sometimes quiet is just the best. Certain sounds or types of music, certain notes actually HURT to hear. A lot of the time, they bring on a migraine for me. I don't like loud, crowded places where you have to scream to hear each other talk. I get very distracted when I'm trying to work and two people on either side of me try to have a completely unrelated discussion around me... How do I make people understand without coming out and telling everyone my medical history 😦

Temperature sensitivity

I live in Phoenix, AZ... It's gross! The heat and sun really take a lot out of me. I love the cooler weather and used to love going to the snow, etc. but I've started to realize that I cannot tolerate extreme temps as much as I used to be able to as a teen. Is this something you've noticed has increased for you? I love the rain (if i'm prepared for it) and honestly think I'd love living somewhere like Oregon someday. Hoping that could make me less of a homebody.

Light Sensitivity

The sun, once again, will be the death of me. Also, i've noticed that people's headlights while driving at night really, really get to me. Half the time, I swear they have their brights on and they're blinding. I do work a lot on the computer and at an eye checkup, the doc arranged for me to get computer glasses to help protect my eyes from the harmful lights the computers put off. She says that this could be the reason that I have photophobia. I haven't noticed much of a difference from wearing them yet...

Smell Sensitivity

Honestly, sometimes I seriously think there's something else wrong with me because I'll get a whiff of certain smells and people around me are like "huh?"... Nope- not pregnant.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I TRY TO. REMEMBER FMS does not kill or cripple but inability to manage all the pain and intolerances certainly cripple and can take away ones motivation to participate in life. The sensitivities you mention are all part of living with FMS and its unexplained pain. In my case and the case of many many FMS patients, I have real diagnosed diseases but its difficult explaining how FMS causes the pain to be much worse than others or when for example you have a sinus infection which is miserable on its own but with FMS sensitivities such as noise and smell or temperature cause us FMS patients to suffer in ways others with sinus issues cant understand. BUT remember if someone cares enough to want you in their life they will learn about FMS through forums like this or searching the internet. If they dont care at least that much then (in my humble opinion) you're better off without them. Hang in there and always carry a wrap, small soft ear plugs or any other device that might lessen the effects of these sensitivities on your comfort. Oh do I feel you!

• Posted

I had a bath last night and when I got out all my legs felt weak and tingly I couldn't even walk hate days like that when I'm super sensitive

• Posted

Sometimes I read peoples posts and I simply wonder how are you able to work.

I am so limited that I often have to phone a friend to pick up some milk for me. Either that or go without.

Every day I take "Endone " an opioid. Most days I take three but some days I take as many as 5 or 6. Then at night I take "OxyContin". Both of these are "Oxycodone hydrochloride " it is the speed or delivery that makes the difference. If you take this drug be aware that it is highly adictive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.