Fibro tips

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all! My name is Jessica and I’m 25. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago with fibromyalgia and have been struggling more and more as time goes on. I’ve tried just about everything to help my pain. Physical therapy, massage therapy, epidurals, medial branch blocks, nerve ablutions, gabapentin, lyrica, cymbalta. I’ve even tried smoking weed and I hated how it made me feel. Do you have any tips or tricks I can maybe try? I’m thinking about getting a bed rest pillow for late nights that keep me up when I’m in pain. Have you used one of these? Do you have any feedback you’d be willing to share? Any help would be appreciated!! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I am newly diagnosed but definitely not new to the pain. I don't have a lot of super great tips as I am also trying to find the same thing lol. I did want to share with you though that it was suggested to me by someone else that has this disease to take a hot bath in epsom salt and that has helped me when I am having a really bad pain day. If I find anything else I will let you know!

Have a blessed daysmile

Jessica

• Posted

these are my tips :

1) stop drinking coffee

2) walking in the warm water/ pool ( google for the aquatic center near you)

3) hot bath 

4) hot pads 

5) ginger tea

6)sun bath

7) vitamin D supplements 

• Posted

There are some good ideas on here, and like others said a bath in epsom salt is great, you can also add essential oil and green tea bags for added comfort and detoxification. They say the best oils for pain are wintergreen, francenscense, ginger, and lavender. You can also get magnesium sprays or magnesium chloride flakes and add these essential oils to them and apply directly to skin, with the flakes you need an oil also to make it like a lotion, I prefer coconut oil. 

There’s quite a few supplements out there and really we just have to play with them and see what works for us, of course check with your doctor to make sure they’re not going to aggravate any other conditions or have a reaction with any medicine you may be on. A few supplements are CoQ10, D-Ribose, sAme, MSM, B complex mixtures, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, etc. You can look up others for more ideas. Melatonin is good to help with sleep, again doesn’t always help but everyone’s different. A good probiotic is also recommended. 

And diet changes are also crucial, find if a food bothers you or makes you feel worse, I can’t eat anything processed or with a lot of sugar. I will “treat” myself occasionally but definitely feel the difference, I have even cut out dairy, certain grains, etc., (I also have severe gastrointestinal problems) this won’t cure anything but help a little. 

Light yoga and as someone else mentioned water therapy or exercise, keeps you stretched and less likely to have the muscles lock and knots.

I’ve also found that routine helps me, not a schedule, but a routine. I try to wake around the same time, eat around the same time allowing me to take my medicines and supplements, run errands or clean house, etc. and keep around the same bedtime even if you’re not able to sleep. Notice I said “around” and not at the exact, this gives routine but also offers flexibility, I do what I need to that day because it’s not scheduled, I don’t say I’m going to run errands Monday and clean Tuesday, I may not feel like leaving the house Monday lol. This helps me but as I said before everyone is different.

Think of your body as a whole and not just pieces, that can be hard. You’ll have a lot of trial and error, and it can be soooo frustrating. Everyone reacts differently to things so you’ll have to find the right combo for you.

I also suggest joining a support group, they have them online and on Facebook, some have local groups. And Pinterest has tons of information, be wary of “miracles” and “cures” though, they prey on our desire to be well but right now there’s no cure just management unfortunately. Sorry it was so long! Hope it helped! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.