Fibroid Embolisation Experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm glad I found this forum, it's been very helpful to read the experiences of others, and to know I'm not alone. I had my UFE just over a week ago. For me, it was definitely the option I wanted to go for, as opposed to a hystorectomy (I've had a myomectomy in previous years). Like most on the forum, my procedure was 'straightforward' in that I had the procedure and was discharged after a night in hospital.

I found the actual experience of the embolisation quite traumatic and can't understand why it is classed as light proceedure? I think it's underestimated and should give the option of general anaesthetic for those who need it. I did not cry during the experience, but wanted to, I didn't want to be viewed as an irritation which I think is how the surgeon might have been feeling in response to my constant squirming and anxious noise making, I have high blood pressure and this went very high during situation, which lasted 2 hours because of there was difficulty feeding the catheter into my artery.

I could go on, but the main things I want to say are that overall, I remain glad that I had the embolisation, and hope I can come back and add a further update following the wonders to be seen. I'm very grateful to those who have shared the tiredness and lethergy after effect as I am feeling this too, my stomach though not majorly painful is very bloated and I have a mild nervy type pain to my groin area, I was leaning towards pulling myself together to get back to a stressful and pragmatic work situation next week, but am thinking a little deeper between priority of my health and 'letting others down'. 

Thank you 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story, I'm sorry to hear it was traumatic. I am seeing an IR tommorrow to discuss embolisation. I suffer from anxiety and embolisation sounds like the least scary option, when compared to a hysterectomy. I am scared of the effects the drugs will have on me more than the actual procedure. Were you sedated during yours?
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, hope all goes well tomorrow. During the procedure I was given paracetamol intravenously and morphine which I was able to control ( but which in truth I couldn't do too consistently because I kept losing contact with the control under the blanket. Lucky I had an attentive nurse close by). I was also given a couple of of other pain killers including codeine ( the other I couldn't remember!). Before I went to theatre I was given painkillers by pessary, so lots of sedation.

I'm glad I had the embolisation and I guess in a post period of less than two weeks it's too early to give full review just yet.

Let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Marha

Girl its always best to put yourself and your health first over work. The work will still be there in a few weeks time and then you will be stronger, less fatigued and more able to face the stress.

Try not to rush back to it! I have not had UFE, i had an open myomectomy(which was problematic) and i am 7 weeks post op now and still have no intention of going back to work yet. I dont get sick pay so financially things are tight but i could not do my job effectively at present as it involves heavy lifting so i press on n look after me😊

Wish you all the best with your recovery. I hope i dont need a UFE in the future but if i do i will ask to be knocked out😄

Xx

• Posted

Words of wisdom and encouragement, most appreciated. Thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.