Fibroid morcellation surgery safe???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, have any of you ladies had a large fibroid morcellated? I've heard there's a big medical debate about it as it allows for less invasive surgery but there's a small risk if you have the C word that it can spread it and make things worse. I've had my fibroid for quite some time now, 7 years or more but thanks to stupid perimenopuase it had a growth spurt the last few years and has gotten quite large, around 12cm. Thanks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sounds risky. Did they do a biopsy?

Kimjon

• Posted

I didn't have it done. Asking about others who may have. My understanding is they do a biopsy during surgery but by then prob too late. There's no way to biopsy a fibroid before surgery, according the doctors I've talked to.

• Posted

One of my doctors wouldn't do surgery without a biopsy. Another wanted a biopsy but didn't make it mandatory. I guess it depends on the doctor?

kimjon

• Posted

I was told it was impossible to biopsy a fibroid before surgery because it would just start bleeding like crazy if you cut into it. So you can only biopsy after removed.

• Posted

HI POWER MORCELLATION can spread cancer cells better not to do it or do single incision laparoscopy where they cut the fibroid without shredding cells everywhere

• Posted

Mine is too big for laproscopy so would have to have risky open surgery. That is why a lot of women use morcellation.

• Posted

I WENT last time to a doctor he told me we are not sure if your fibroid has cancerous cells my fibroid is big 9 CM OUTSIDE my uterus he told me i will do one incision laparoscopic surgery through the the belly button umbilical cord and cut the fibroid outside the abdomen .THIS way it will not shred any tissues .AND the surgery would be scareless he said he can do it even for larger fibroids .THIS surgery is called single port laparoscopy .

• Posted

fibroid that harbor cancer cells can stay inside the myoma for many years 10 YEARS OR MORE this is considered its early stage then it quickly jump from stage one to 4 WITHIN WEEKS so nobody really knows what is going on there.

• Posted

Well that is all terrifying. I can ask again for a biopsy but the last time they told me they couldn't do it. My fibroid is inside the uterus.

• Posted

DO you mean biobsy is papsmear test that they collect tissue from the cervix and check them out ? BECAUSE the cervix cells can contain cell from the fibroid that circulates there .

• Posted

I've had papsmears and a uterus lining biopsy. All normal. But they tell me no, that isn't the same as biopsy of actual fibroid.

• Posted

okay, so i have a 10,7 x 9.7 and my surgeon at the Stanford Fibroid Center is going to perform a laparoscopic myomectomy on me. I asked about morcellation and she said they put it inside a bag before they morcellate anything and pull it out the belly button she said the power morcellation is what causes it to spread cancer (if present) and that the bag way is safe . (Well supposesly. I am sure they said the same thing to power morcellation patients too! )

• Posted

Hi Lana. A surgeon I spoke to said you can't laproscopically remove a large fibroid just cutting or pulling it out. Are you saying she's using morcellation with a bag and then pulling the morcellated fibroid out of you? I found a surgeon here who does it but for some reason I don't think he uses a bag. If yours does maybe I can go there? I also unfortunately have a dermoid and want to preserve my ovary. It doesn't bother me now but several doctors suggest removing it at same time. Feel free to private message me to. Thanks!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.