Fibroid removal op and womb lining failed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Went to hospital on monday 23rd jan 17 to have a 6cm fibroid removed and laser the lining of the womb. Previous scan showed the fibroid was submocosal. Surgeon said the fibroid was not where is was stated on the scan and was outside the womb wall so it is still with me. Also the machine used to laser the lining of the womb failed as the cavity was too big 😕.

I was told that the laser can fail if the cervix is too big or too small.

Feel like it has been a total waste of time and nhs money 🙁

Now I have to go back to the clinic and discuss further options 1 being a hysterectomy which I have tried to avoid but am now considering having only my womb removed.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elainey,

So I guess you have a subserosal fibroid which is on the outside of the uterus. Not a submucosal. There is a You Tube video that shows the removal of a suberosal through myomectomy.  Get a second opinion from a gynocologist, not a knob that wastes your time and money. Sorry.  I'd be outraged at such a bad job of it all.  They should have been able to tell you before the proceedure if your cervix was too big or too small.  That's what the examination is for.

I have two submucosal fibroids on the sides and one intramural at the top.  The submucosals cause a lot of bleeding.  My doctor tried getting me to have ablation done but didn't give me any information about the proceedure or what post proceedure would be like.  Basicly he told me they could burn out the uterus to slow the bleeding.  I thought, my husband is going to stick his p*&#!$ in and rub it againts burnt toast?  By the time I had a second opionion I learned that it was already too late for ablation.  The fibroids had grown and deformed the uterus beyond having that done.  One thing about burning the lining of the uterus....it does not stop fibroid growth.  Fibroids will always grow as long as we have hormones, blood flow and a uterus.

I don't know what kind of 'scans' you ladies are having.  But in Manitoba we do ultrasounds and they tell us the precise size and location. I'm really ticked your doctor didn't know the fibroid was on the outside before he went in.  

A submucosal is in the uterus lining and there is no way of removing it without taking the uterus.  So what was the doctor thinking by telling you that it could be removed and just laser the lining? I too have been battling the hysterectomy and praying for menopause.  But at 51 years old I am still having very regular periods.

I have asked for a referral to a clinic that does MRI guided Focused Ultrasound.  They lay the patient on an MRI bed and use it to 'see' the fibroids.  Then the doctor uses highly Focused Ulatrasound to burn out the fibroids from the inside out.  No invasive proceedure.  Nothing is put inside the patient.  No cuts.  The patient is fully awake and is able to go home the same day.  The proceedure is more successful on older patients, as the younger the woman the more likely the fibroids grow back.  

• Posted

Hi Diana, Mine is in the lower posterior wall but I think its intramural. Its 13cm so I think its too big for focused ultra sound?
    • Posted

Hi tks for yr reply.

I am really annoyed. way before any scan it was already determined by my doctor that I had an enlarged womb.

I had an ultrasound scan and have a letter from the hospital stating it was a 6cm submocosal fibroid.

The funny thing is the surgeon came to see me before the op and said he may not be able to remove the fibroid or laser the lining of the womb, I was like ok . (But wondering why he was saying that).

They have totally wasted nhs funds and my time by not I think looking at it properly.

I did ask how the scan said one thing and the camera said another. I was told what the eye sees with a scan is different to what the eye sees with a camera. Total crap if you ask me.

I will make an appointment to see my doc instead of gynie and ask for a second opinion.

Many thanks again will have to keep on with the northisterone for 26days as usual. I really thought I would have had it sorted out.

• Posted

Did you have an MRI? I thought they were supposed to be very precise as they can destroy a fibroid by guided MR gus! It seems a bit poor on their behalf!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.