Fibroid resection and endometrial ablation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys.

So I went to see my gynaecologist again and have been referred for fibroid resection and ablation. I was told nothing would be done to the largest fibroid (10cm) because of its position. And the resectioning will be on the smaller ones in my uterus. 

They will then follow this with endometrial ablation. 

My question is has anyone had these procedures done? If so what sort of recovery time am I looking at? 

I've had a gp (off the record) tell me I should just go for a hysterectomy as the procedure I'm having done is only slightly less invasive. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did not have an ablation or a resection, I had a full-out abdominal hysterectomy because my fibroid grew to 17cm and it was the only way to get it out. May I ask how old you are, Debs? My tendency is to agree with your off the record GP, that you will be having lots done AND ignoring your biggest culprit... even with an abdominal hysterectomy I was perfect within a month's time, and it sounds like you won't even need that. I was 47 at the time, didn't want more children and it was a wonderful decision for me.

Have you seen more than one gynecologist? If not I would highly recommend a second opinion.  

• Posted

How long ago did you have the full out hysterectomy ? How are your hormones affecting you ? That's my only fear is that having hysterectomy will effect my hormones and therefore my emotions ( moody etc ) 

Thank you 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. 

I am 40. I don't want anymore children, I'm scared of the hormonal implications afterwards. 

• Posted

Oh and yes this is the second gynaecologist I have seen. She seems a lot more proactive in suggesting other procedures before going for a hysterectomy. (I did say at my first appointment that I wanted to avoid a hysterectomy)
    • Posted

Vera I was about 45, I'm 57 now.

Doctor left one ovary. I went into menopause at 47.  The two years out of surgery were just fine with that one functional ovary.

I had a rough, long menopause but I never really blamed the hysterectomy for it.

• Posted

Thank you so much for reply 

Did you have to take replacement hormones ? 

Totally weird question but after surgery did your insides just feel empty without your uterus and fibroids gone 

I'm 46 mine are quite large 2 floating around on stalks largest being about 12mm maybe 

But I have no symptoms from it - normal periods no bladder pressure just emotional cause I can feel them 

Just hysterectomy sounds so scary 

• Posted

I didn't have to take replacement hormones since I still have one ovary, but after a couple of years with bad hot flashes and night sweats I did try them. They were WONDERFUL. My only issue was that my breasts really hurt. Then I read an article that said that women who were on the hormone Prempro who exhibited breast pain, were a lot more likely to develop an aggressive ductal carcinoma from the medication. That scared me so much that, despite my doctor acting as if it were no big deal, I went off of it. 

The weird thing is that NO, my body felt totally the same after the hysterectomy! My belly was nice and flat without the huge football size fibroid but otherwise I felt exactly the same. I was concerned that sex would feel different but it feels just as good as before. It's so weird to think that I am missing pivotal pieces but that all of the rest stays where it is, LOL.

I had terribly heavy periods so for me, hysterectomy was wonderful. I had no quality of life before,

bled for a full month before the surgery and needed to wear adult diapers AND have a blood transfusion, I was getting so anemic. 

• Posted

Thank you for the extensive information you have provided. The other concern that puts me off hysterectomy is the effect on my sex life.  
  • Posted

Hi Deb why don't you have a myomectomy? 

• Posted

Hi camelia. 

I've never been offered a myomectomy. Its never been mentioned or discussed 

• Posted

My advise is to search for another doctor. Your fibroids are not to being I am guessing so an open myomectomy may be possible. If you are in uk and on NHS you will find it that is common for the doctors to offer most of the time hysterectomy, cause of the less time taking and the myomectomy requires high skills in uterus sutures. Don't accept the hysterectomy if you are not ready, it could mean a major change in your life. 

I was on nhs and they sort of pushed me to give my consent for hysterectomy in case the laparoscopy won't be possible. I have said no and went private cause they refused in giving me other options even though I don't have kids. 

• Posted

That's interesting I have now been under the care of a gynaecologist for almost 8 years. The first doctor was very hesitant in trying anything it was always a case of me suggesting a course of action and them umming and ahhing and never actually getting much done. After changing the gynaecologist the new one is more proactive but at no time has a myomectomy been mentioned. 

I always thought myomectomy was risky and not carried out often.

I think I'll have to look into this further 

• Posted

Hi Debs, I have had a 12cm fibroid removed via keyhole removed 8 days ago. I have recovered so far quite well, no pain and no bleeding yet and the scar is quite small. I would say to look into finding a doctor who is not afraid to do a myomectomy if this is what you want. And no myomectomy is not risky and is actually carried out very often is just some doctors are not keen in doing it due to the high skills required. 
    • Posted

Hi debs 

Do nice to hear that thank uoi for sharing. Did you have just 1 or multiple ?

Can you continue to update us on your progress, a lot of time ppl just write when something has gone wrong would love to hear also when things go well. Eases some of the fear of having it done 

• Posted

That's good to know. I just wish I'd asked more questions.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

I have several smaller fibroids inside my uterus. The biggest is at the top front of the uterus. 

Hopefully I will come back and update you all as to how things are going. It's always reassuring to come on here and have people put your mind at ease. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.