Fibroid treatment needed but unsure what to do.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. Newbie here. Been diagnosed with large multiple fibroids inside and outside uterus. Saw consultant and he prescribed Esmya for 3 months. Wrote Pearl in my notes and has plan to hysterocope in 2 months to check lining then remove any polyps.  No mention of polyps before. Asked me to look up embolisation which I have . Seems painful and no quick results. Can't think of being at work losing fibroids that are dead! Thought managing periods was bad enough. My work does not allow me to abandon people to spend all day in the loo! Think hysterectomy is my answer I am 54 and have no menopausal symptoms. Feel he wants to do UAE only and wonder if this Pearl is a study. Am I a guinea pig? I feel I am. Anyone have any thoughts knowledge of this. 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If you are 54 a total Abdominal Hysterectomy is the answer leaving the Ovaries which helps with the Menapause slows it. No more Bleeds.. no more bloating or dragging pains.. Best thing I ever did in my life I had 5 large Fibroids.. I was put on Tibilone post Op and was on that HRT for 5 years.  suture line on the Bikini line. healed well. Op was fine no after effects needs gentle healing for up to 6 -1 year Post Operatively and 3 months realistically off work.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Thanks, i feel it may well be the right way forward. My mother died of ovarian cancer but had hysterectomy much younger than me. Will have to think very hard about that one. Hoping for a speedy end to all of this. Thanks for taking time to reply.
  • Posted

Well it will be a great way for the Surgens to check your ovaries whilst havung the Op..

Best of Luck.

• Posted

Hello I'm new here . I'm 14 day post op from fibroid embolisation I had 3 massive fibroids 1 14cm one and 2 10 cm ones xx
    • Posted

Hope your feeling better. I am a bit put off of embolisation as could take up to 12 months for them to die and disintegrate. Don't want to be at work with bits of me falling out! I can't just leave what I am doing and go to the loo. How did you find it so far? Have they said if they are confident of success? I have many with a pendiculated of 9 cms on top. They are all different types too.
  • Posted

Hi I'm sure it's quite rare for one to just come away . I can see my tummy is much flatter already and the pressure on my bladder as gone and my tummy feels much lighter I got told they would change from heavy muscle to a lighter spongy and it could take up to six months . I've stopped bleeding today only had a couple of tiny clots xx
  • Posted

I had esmya for 9 months, and after 6 weeks, my fibroid had reduced by 30%,which if it works for you, makes whatever surgery you have much easier.

I had the option of embolisation or myomectomy, it's an individual choice. Hysterectomy wasn't an option for me, as I haven't had any children. The surgeon gave me a leaflet on both, so I guess all I can suggest is you do the same.

Embolisation is the more straight forward surgery, least recovery time etc, I wouldn't say that you would spend all day on the loo, my understanding is that they try and shrink them.

Get a leaflet on both.

• Posted

Esmya is only licensed for 2 courses of 6 months total. Your consultant has broken all the rules of its use. Were you on a trial? I am put off as embolisation has only 78 per cent success rate. Not high enough for me. Not if have to repeat or then go through hysterectomy anyway. Only had 1st dose of Esmya and so far no problems. I am 54 so a little different for me also have a 21 year old and a 13 year old so no more kids wanted or likely.
  • Posted

When I started taking it, the licensing law was only for 3 months, which soon changed to 6. She said that she could give up to 12 only on the condition I see her monthly, have a monthly scan, she could only prescribe a month at a time, with a month break every 3 months, and that I agreed.

The surgeon did say that there is a higher risk of hysterectomy after embolisation, and it generally works better when there is just 1 fibroid.

If more than 1, I would go for myomectomy or hysterectomy.

• Posted

I have multiple so not sure why he is so keen on UEA. Won't be going that path. Think I know what I want now as taking Esmya long term is not something I would do. This drug has little in way of known long term effects and trials have not included vast amounts of people.
  • Posted

We'll been on Esmya for 10 days and have lost 2kgs! Not sure if that is because I am so fatigued I spend most of my life asleep. Stomach softer and flatter. The fatigue is worse than anaemia and an awful metallic taste in the mouth after drinking tea. As tea is my drink I am not too pleased.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.