Fibroid Tumor

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. I went in for an IUD trying to change my method and the nurse could not put the IUD in. I had to wait on the doctor. He did a sonogram and showed that I had a fibroid tumor in my uterus. My womb is swollen and I look about three months pregnant. I read online that they are not cancerous which is great but I was told the only way to get rid of the fibroid is to have a hysterectomy. Have any of you ladies been through this? Can the tumor get bigger?  He did tell me trying to get an IUD in would be very painful. Thanks all.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,  there are other options but it depends on where abouts the fibroid is what type it is (3 types) and how large. If it was submucosal and on the small size it can be removed with hysteroscopy. Some others can be removed surgically with myomectomy. It is true that to permanently remove it would be done with a hysterectomy but that is major surgery and needs thinking about carefully. There are other options to try to reduce the size of it, and manage any symptoms and these should be explained to you, or you can educate yourself on line as many of us have. If the fibroid is not causing heavy bleeding or pain it can be left in most cases. Depends also if you are wanting to have children or if you are not far from the menopause as well.  Many of us have been taking the new tablets called esmya which can help to reduce the size of them. Results vary from person to person but worth a try before surgery. That was my view on them. I am still on them.   They can get bigger but usually have spurts at certain ages I have read. If it does get bigger and then starts to cause symptoms you just review your options if that happens.  Hope that helps.  
    • Posted

Thanks. I have been going online but its better to me to hear some personal experiences. I read the general information but when someone like you can relate it helps.
    • Posted

Hi Lisha there is just one more thing. When I was offered Hysteretomy and refused the Gynocologist did an endometrial ablation. Do not touch this procedure as it made every one of my symptoms worse. And I gained 22lbs. I had flooding issues and pain so severe I could not leave the house. I can't prove this but I think the Gynocologist did it on purpose so I would have a hysterectomy. Didn't work though I now did not trust anything he said. In the end I insisted on a referral to radiology for UAE. Which I have now had between now and 6 months I should see all of my symptoms disappear my period is already better cos I don't have flooding anymore. Sorry this is so long.
  • Posted

Hi Lisha have a read of the other topics here yes there are several options for reducing or removing fibroids other than a hysterectomy. Medication, myomectomy, UFE etc.

They do grow quite rapidly especially if you're nearing menopause.

• Posted

Hi. I'm 42. I have a daughter and grandchild. I'm a diabetic so I'm really worried about it. Looking at the sonagram the fibroid looked a little bigger than a date (fruit). I have a few of the symptoms. Its within my uterus.
  • Posted

lisha - you can also try a natural remedy that is working for me.  1 Tbsp Unsulfered Blackstrap Molasses in hot water in the morning and 1 Tbsp Blackstrap Molasses with tsp Apple Cider Vinegar in hot water at night.  I used to bleed 20 days out of the month due to fibroids and now I only bleed during my period.  There was NO clotting and my period was THREE days instead of TEN and there's NO MORE PAIN.  If this doesn't shrink your fibroid than at least it will help your symptoms until you decide what you want to do.  Hysterectomy is so final.  I was scheduled for a hysterectomy when I found this remedy and I have since cancelled it.  You also need to change your diet and not eat processed foods.  Good Luck to you.
  • Posted

What you have been told is not true. There is a op called UFE it's performed by a radiology not Gyncologist so they won't recommend it. My advice is ask to be referred and do loads of research. Gynocologist only do Total Hysterectomy which is womb cervix and ovaries removal. There is a op called subtotal Hysteretomy (womb only) but they usually don't offer it. There is a lot of information on here and online about UFE there is also medication but I'm not sure if it can be taken long term.
  • Posted

Your doctor is not telling the truth. Choose a reliable doctor! There are several other options. Myomectomy and UFE, but also medication. I have been on Esmya several times and it is quite effective with minor side effects. My fibroids have regrown which is the reason for me taking several courses, but since I have no side effects it is not a problem. They are likely to regrow with other treatments as well. Stay away from hysterectomy! Long term side effects are horrible!
  • Posted

Hi Lisha

I was told teh same thing by a Consultant and he did not even examine me properly.  I had to wait till i saw his registrar to get an ultrasound!  I most definitely did not want a hysterectomy.  I am 46 and have no children and maybe its too late for that but i still did not want a hysterectomy.  So i got a second and third opinion and am now 5 weeks post op having had a myomectomy where they cut out the fibroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.