Fibroids

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had several fibroids prior to menopause and now 3 years into menopause I feel like I could be having fibroid issues.  Does anyone have any history of fibroids? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi goldlocks, I have a history of fibroids in the family when I turn 50 I discover I had 3 cm one on my uterus cavity hanging like a stalk I had it out soon after it was discovered I'm ok now.

• Posted

Yes in 2013 i had two 2cm fibroids i had a scan last year which showed one had disappeared an the remaining one had got smaller,so they do start to shrink eventually hope this helps 
  • Posted

Hi Goldlocks - I've had a long history of fibroids - apart from causing heavy periods they shouldn't be causing too many problems. 12 years ago I had seven sizeable fibroids one of which was 20cm in diameter - equivalent of a four month foetus. As I wanted children, I had to have a myomectomey to reduce the risk of miscarriage.  It wasn't a fun operation. I continue to have fibroids that have came back since - I have 3 now approx 1cm to 3cm although they are starting to shrink as I am progressing thru peri to full menopause. They are causing me no problems. If they are bothering you, go and discuss with a gynae - otherwise try not to worry about them. Hope things improve for you soon.  I get mine checked out every year with a pelvic scan.

• Posted

Many women have fibroids and never even know it.  Their growth is supported by estrogen, and this is why they often shrink and even go away after menopause.  

If you have a question and concern, a vaginal ultrasound can locate, count and  measure them.  I just had one done last Friday.  Please don't worry it's really a "nothing" of a test.  Only takes maybe 10-15 minutes.  

• Posted

My doctor discovered my fibroids at 48. He decided against surgery because I was so close to menopause and they tend to shrink. I didn't even know I had them. My old gyno retired and my new one did a ultrasound and the fibroids are holding steady. The largest one is about the size of a grapefruit. I still can't feel it. They aren't growing and they aren't causing me any issues. They run in my family. Both of my sisters have them.

• Posted

Always have an ultrasound so they can check them. Mine were suspicious and I had to have my ovary removed because of it. No choice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.