Fibroids

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am 53 years old and was told a few years ago that I had fibroids, the biggest was, I checked later, as big as an 11 week old foetus!  I now have bad period pains, constipation, back pain, nausea/vomiting, fatigue and painful sex.  I am not bleeding as I have a mirena coil in situ (had this for 8 years with little or no bleeding ever).  My GP has always been reluctant to send me to a gynaecologist especially at my age when I am supposed to be in menopause (no sign yet however of this).  I am also having bladder problems, difficulty in going, leaking etc.  Anyone got any thoughts on this?  Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie I’ve had all the same symptoms as you with a subserosal fibroid, which means it’s on the outside of the womb. It doesn’t cause bleeding it just gets in the way and cause pressure on the surrounding organs as well as your back. I’m now on zoladex injections, which put me into a chemical menopause in order to shrink the fibroid for surgery. It’s amazing and I’m really noticing the benefits from it. Some women that are nearing menopause start the injections while there waiting, as fibroids usually shrink them anyway. If a fibroid is problematic like yours, your GP should refer you for an expert opinion because there are lots of options available to you x
    • Posted

Hi Amanda,

I had a period about three weeks after first injection, not painful as usual though. Hopefully I won’t get another period while on the injection, as I should be in chemical menopause now. If this is menopause it’s great, haven’t felt this good for ages, I have more energy and my belly is shrinking. I do get cranky with my husband and have night sweats but that’s nothing compared to the side effects of the fibroid for the past 12 months x

• Posted

I was bleeding when I got the injection and bleed for 2-3 weeks on it am the same just some flushing sometimes feeling bit sick. Am due my second injection on Friday do the symptoms get worse? X
    • Posted

I felt a bit sick after my first one but haven’t since. So far I’ve been lucky, the side effects are hardly noticeable but everyone is different. Things haven’t got worse, I feel good since having the injections. I noticed I lost a lot of weight, half a stone after first injection, my weight is gradually improving. I’m thin anyway so it worried me a bit but it may have been due to the fact I was so swollen before my first injection I could hardly eat and then I had a flare effect with the first injection which made things worse for the first two weeks. Everyday seems to get easier now though from the fibroid symptoms xxx
    • Posted

I was the same but took a urine infection so putting it down to that lost bit of weight too. Sometimes headache and feeling tired but anything to stop bleeding getting a hysterectomy soon hopefully x
  • Posted

Age us just a numbet but to the NHS you are washed up when you reach 50years old. Symptoms are definitely fibroids. My advice go back to your Doctor demand a ultrasound and then a referral to a gynaecologist. You can choose your hospital under NHS CHOICES. Depending on where you live do some research on gynaecologist and fibroids. In London the best are UCLH, Royal Free and Guys.

By the way have you replaced your mirena coil. Fibroids can hide it and rendering not functioning properly. It can also be undetected by a scan because the fibroids is hiding it.

• Posted

Thanks Vivienne, I am seeing my GP tomorrow so will see where this goes!
  • Posted

Hi.

You should consider an MRI. I hear it gives the best picture of your uterus. With regards to menopause it's a lot of informed guessing by doctors which does not make it factual. My mom reached menopause at 62. Docs tell me 52 is when people reach menopause. If you have to manage pain for another 10 years - not good. Check your "anti-mullerian" hormones. Don't know if mirena will mess up the results. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi May49858, I have just seen my GP.  He is sending me for an ultrasound scan, he wants to see how big it is before referring me to a gynaecologist.   Fingers crossed 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.