Fibroids and Acid Reflux?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I am based in UK. I have been suffering from 2 large pedunculated fibroids (both 10 cm). I also have horrible acid reflux (heart burn, indigestion), especially bad at night. I tried taking the medication the doctors dish out, omeprazole, but it doesn't help much. When I was referred to the gynaecologist he insisted that the acid reflux was unrelated to the fibroids. This then led me to be referred to gastroenterology who performed some tests and said I have LPR (a type of acid reflux) and no hiatus hernia. I am not convinced that my reflux is not due to my fibroids, sometimes at night after my bladder is full I can feel that is has been pushed all the way up to my belly button. Surely this extra pressure would cause reflux!! The reflux is the worst symptom I have as it stops me from sleeping at night and burns my upper throat and mouth plus leave a disgusting taste in the mouth. I also have heavy periods and pelvic pain on and between my period. I also have bleeding between periods (usually seen as clots) and pain in my lower back.

I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced acid reflux (heartburn, indigestion) with fibroids? and if they had a hysterectomy or the fibroids were removed did that solve the acid reflux problem?

Thanks all,

Jess

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I just had a 12cm and 5 smaller ones removed and I struggled with acid reflux as well during the years of having them. I took pantoprozale to help and it did sometimes. Greasy and spicy foods were my triggers.

• Posted

I had acid reflex because of my fibroid! It was terrible and I had to pee multiple times at night. i also had a large fibroid outside my uterus (9cm). The acid reflex was triggered by certain foods as well. I never had a sweet tooth until i had a fibroid and i had just a piece of chocolate some nights and the acid reflex would kick in. Best thing to do is cut your meal/snacking after 6pm. Don't eat the foods that trigger it. I know its hard I hated my fibroid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.