fibroids and adenomyosis what's the treatment?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Yesterday I was told after an ultrasound that i had fibroids and adenomyosis. Ceevix and ovaries all ok. I've got a hysteroscopy on Friday. I'm 51 and post menopausal last period was 18 months ago but had a show last month hence the test. Never had problems with periods when I was regular.

Are there drugs to sort this or is hysterectomy the only cure?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lesley

I had a vaginal hysterectomy this time last year.  Mine was for a prolapsed womb and bladder - so not the same problem as yours.  I would just say that if you have to have a hysterectomy then try and get it done vaginally if you can.  I recovered so well with no pain, even from day 1.  I was going for walks after the first week and  back to running after 8 weeks.  Nowadays it's really not the terrible op that it was in days gone by.  But definitely better if you have it done vaginally with no abdominal wound.

Best wishes and good luck 

Shani

xxxx

• Posted

Lesley - sorry to be so blunt, but are you planning on more children.

I know in my case after years of problems with heavy bleeding, multiple D & C's only to be told all was well, we are preserving your fertility, WHAT, husband had already had Vasectomy years previous, and we had been married 30 years, with 2 adult children. I was not planning an having more children.

All excuses from what I could see from the Dr's point of view.

In the end had a massive heamorage, at home in the middle of the night, Dr's told me if I hadn't woken up when I did, I may not have woken, 3 units of blood later.

Presented at hospital, Dr's decided it was hormonal, made me very ill with huge overdose of hormones, started vomiting, and couldn't stop, they had to bring in the chemo drugs in the middle of the night, to stop me vomiting.

D & C following day diagnosed endometiral cancer, feet didn't touch the ground after that, Surgery a few days later to remove, uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes, also took sample of lymph glands to check if cancer had moved out of uterus.

From my understanding us bigger girls should not overlook the possibility that we have endometiral cancer, very slow growing, but even so if ignored just as deadly, apparently we are at increased risk, and only symptoms are heavy bleeding, never stopping bleeding, (not heavy all the time), but enough to be wearing tampons, or pads, also break through bleeding after periods have stopped.

After I had hysterectomy I developed what they call traumatic change of life, would not wish that on anyone, they had to put me on a very high dose of HRT to stop soaking bedclothes with sweat as fast as they could change me, 5 minutes later nurses came to check on me, and I was lying in a pool of water, my own sweat.

The drips they put me on were not copping with the outgoing sweat/liquid, and I got into real trouble with veins shutting down, on the verge of a cut down to a vein, when a senior nurse from chemotherapy, apparently she was considered the hospital expert on getting good veins, found a deep one, got a needle into it, and that held me for a few more days until HRT kicked in.

But here I am the other side, after a very short recovery of about 6 weeks, some time ago now, but no further problems at all. Best thing that ever happended to me, and the savings with hygene products, I did notice the difference in the budget.

• Posted

Hi Lyn, are you available for me to private msg you ?  I was diagnosed today with endometrial hyperplasia, i'm 53, obese and had post menopausal bleeding this month after yr and half since last break thru bleeding.  i'm scared to wits end. 
    • Posted

Kathleen - at 53 you are really border line through the change of life. You i'm sure have read my post, its not meant to scare you only make you aware. Awareness give us the knowledge to be able to ask questions and not be fobbed off by some Dr's who seem to think they are Gds.

One thing about endometrial cancer like I had it is extremely rare that it is life treatening at our age, it is VERY VERY slow growing, Dr's explained to me I would have had to ignore bleeding for 10 years or more to be dangerous.

Have you had a D & C yet, demand one, and see if that clears up any issues with bleeding, worse case it will show something sinister, and they will get onto it very quickly as they did with me.

Don't worry too much, you need your energies to be postive, I know, I was very scared too, but ended up going into surgery with a postive attitude, of I can beat this, and I did, after a battle.

• Posted

Hi lesley,

Endomentrial cancer is a disease with no age barrier. I am 38 and down with endomentrial cancer stage 1. Had hysterectomy done 5 weeks ago.

I agree with one of our members saying that if you are already near to menopause, do opt for hysterectomy as hormonal pills treatment does not usually work. I am on provera for few months and my ayptical hyperplasia progresses to endomentrial cancer.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.