Fibroids, Esmya and Diet..

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello ladies

I've been reading bits and pieces on here about fibroids and esmya, and I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a recent experience of the medication, or anyone who could give feedback from their experiences.

I'm 34 and have been diagnosed with 2 fibroids - one 7cm and the other 11cm. I've been prescribed esmya, and I am on my second month now and will return to the doctors after three months of taking it where they will scan me again. I suffered side effects the first few weeks - dizziness, feeling sick in the mornings and tiredness, but that does seem to have subsided now.

I'd like the fibroids removed really, but I don't think they want to operate on me as I already had one huge fibroid removed 5 years ago - that one was 18cm.. so operating again on these ones would probably put my fertility at further risk etc.. but the fibroids can really petrude some days and be uncomfortable so I'm just hoping they do shrink.

Will this medication significantly shrink my fibroids..? Or is it variable from one person to the next? Also, has anyone experimented with their diet to promote shrinking their fibroids? I'm trying all sorts and have now literally gone vegan and wheat free. I hear that flaxseeds and maca powder are good too so adding these to my smoothies.

Thanks for reading..any comments welcome.. x

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi LizzieBe,

Unfortunately Esmya (12 months worth but over a couple of years with Zoladex in the middle) didnt shrink my Fibroid, neither did Zoladex implants (6 months) I have one, which I've had for a least 10 years. My only son is awesome & is 9 years old. I found out I had a fibroid before conceiving. My fibroid is now 13 cm. So fairly large, but blood supply (probably from being around a while & big & having been on meds) is from smaller ateries so UFE may not give great results but may be worth a try. Having another MRI next week. All I would say to you Lizzie & I know its different for everyone but Esmya (esepcially for larger fibroids) is meant as a temporary solution pre surgery. UFE at least stops them growing but there are questions re fertility after that.

Its a difficult decision, but I did have a succesful pregnancy with a large fibroid, my son they say used it as a pillow! Good luck what ever you decide. Any questions don't hesitate to PM me. One other thing I will say is, one of my senior surgeons did say that he see's alot of ladies for fibroid removal who come back again. Makes you wonder re sporing. xx

• Posted

Hi Heather

Thank you for your response. It seems that it varies from one person to the next. I will just see how I go for now as it is early days on the esmya. It is good to hear you had a successful pregnancy with your fibroid. That's the thing that worries me most. I'm not actively trying for a baby at the moment but it's good to know you were able to conceive, even with the fibroid. x

• Posted

Yes Lizzie, I was told i'd be hard but fell pregnant first time with a sizeable fibroid in the lower posterior wall. I think the good thing about Esmya for me is the lack of a period! However if it has shrunk for some lets hope it does for you, that may give you an option of a laproscopic removal if you decide to have them taken away before trying for a baby. I was 37 when I had my son. Looking back I did leave it late, as fibroid came back with evengence after a c section when they said they couldn't see it, probably stretched within the wall whilst pregnant. I would ideally have liked more than one child however I can give more/ do more for one & feel grateful for him, a blessing. I'm on Esmya now for another 3 months, trying to loose weightm stone off since end November, so I'm hoping for a couple of more before then end of Esmya then we'll have to see whats the best way for me to move forward after the MRI results xx

• Posted

Wishing you all the best. I'd be interested to hear how you get on, and I'll let you know what happens with me too when I return for my scan xx

• Posted

Hello LizzieBe,

I am in a very similar situation - 33 with multiple fibroids, largest is 11cm. I had a miscarriage at 6wks (apparently fibroids had nothing to do with it, but who knows?) in october last yea. My gyne recommended fibristal (Canada) for 6 months to shrink the fibroids before trying again. She's very much against surgery as evidence of conception post surgery remain mixed. I am now almost two months into the first course. My bellys still looks the same, so I dont think they've shrunk. But, I think the fibroids are a little softer now - or maybe its just wishful thinking.  

In terms of diet, I've always been a bit of health nut. I run 30 - 40km a week on average, lift heavy weights, eat lost of veggies, good carbs and hardly eat any red meat. I eat less sugar and the only diary I take is with my coffee, and greek yogurt (I do love cheeses though, but really limit that too). I used to eat a lot of flaxseed meal, but I cut that as the information on it is conflicting.

Despite all this, my fibroids continue to grow. Although, I should mention I am of Africa origin, so am genetically predisposed to these monsters. Who know, perhaps, if not for my lifestyle, the fiboids would be bigger than they are now - its hard to say. For now, I am being cautiously optimistic about this treatment. I will keep at what am doing, and see how things progress in the next 5 months. I see my gyne mid february for a halfway check up. Results on this drug have been so varied am trying not to set high expectations lest they get dashed.

Good luck to both of us!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.