Fibroids extending in to the pouch of Douglas

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Ive just been referred to a gynaecologist as a CT ultrasound showed I have an enlarged fibroid uterus extending into the pouch of Douglas.  Any ideas what this means and the significance of it extending into this pouch as this seems to be why I've been referred to gynaecology. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea from what i can remember i am am pretty sure it is the lower part of the womb above the cervix, so your fibroid i guess is growing down towards your vagina. My largest fibroid is pressing on my bladder, which is why i am having a hysesterctomy and other factors.  Fibroids can enlarge the size of your womb mine is very large so your womb can press on other organs etc.  I would ask your Gyno to explain to you though x
  • Posted

I have had a google as i was questioning if what i said was right, if you google it the diagrams can explain it better than me, i gather it is a gap between the womb n bowel!!
  • Posted

Hello Andrea- Last UltraSound scan showed a fibroid extending to Douglas Sac...this I think seems to account for a wierd sensation at times discomfort around back passage....not unlike the sensation of having underpants stuck you know where !  As far as I can understand it a fibroid close to Douglas Sac might put a certain amount of pressure on rectum/bowel.. Incidentally size of fibroid is around 6 cms...As am 66 yrs old and well past menopause...I am being monitored regularly -am having some acupuncture sessions to help reduce it and watching my diet  -flax seed is said to help with reducing fibroids..Staying positive  but the wierd sensation does get me down now n then...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.