Fibroids ... Feeling pregnant!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have recently had an internal scan after going to GP about extremely horrendous heavy periods, results show an 8cm growth they think is a fibroid but it's not been confirmed . I was to be referred to a gynaecologist but after not hearing for a while and chasing turns out my GP 'forgot' to do the referral .. as you can imagine very upsetting but have now been referred by another GP as to be seen urgently. I got my date through for 6 weeks time just to be seen and my GP says it's too long so she has expedited it so hopefully I'll hear soon ... my question is can this fibroid make such an impact on my body?! If I hadn't of had the scan and heavy periods I'd be convinced I was pregnant! My abdomen is huge back pain is chronic and I'm forever weeing. I feel pretty down about how this one thing seems to be taking over and not sure if it's growing rapidly hence the decline in my body and how I feel .... I'm at a stage where I'd do anything to get rid! Anyone else finding that their bodies are just not there own with these critters?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Beany, I've been suffering for around 5 years now, to the point I thought I was going mad, back n for to gp for heavy periods, more periods than I should be having, when I eat I'm full very quickly, shortness of breath, looking like I'm pregnant, the list is long of problems, gp suggested contraception, never investigated, the day came where I couldn't take anymore, my husband sort another gp practise, they saw me same day and within 2 weeks I had an ultrasound scan done, a large fibroid, I'm wait to see gynae consultant to go for a full hysterectomy and end this nightmare that's growing and growing, nice to know I've not gone mad and wishing you all the best with yours xx

• Posted

Hi Helen thank you for your reply and yes I feel your pain ... i have two children and my last one was born 3 years ago so just put the heavy periods down to changes from that pregnancy but knew that they really weren't the norm and then the swollen tummy started and then the back pain and that's it I feel my body has been taken over! .. about 3 months ago I could lay in bed and feel a lump in lower abdomen about what seemed the size of a golf ball the scan said 8cm a bit later on but now my husband and I can cup the lump in the palm of our hands so if that's a sign of growth it's pretty scary at the rapid rate and no wonder I feel just a carrier of this thing! .. it's taken over my life I can't walk far without a tugging feeling and I play sports and the mobility is becoming tricky so that gets me down ... when I get to see the gyny am I within my right to insist to get it all taken away and try and get my life back? ..... I truly sympathise with how uou have been feeling and I hope soon this'll all be sorted for you xx

• Posted

My GP has told me not to be fobbed off with other treatments, I can't take meds to try shrink it as I have had other problems and when GP tried to prescribe his computer said 'no', I don't want to be poked n prodded just go straight HysterSister lol, my children are 19&18, was sterilised 15 yrs ago, I'm certain on what I want done, p.s I'm 44, I'll keep you updated xx

• Posted

Yeah I want to be a HysterSister too!! I'm 41 and have a 17 and as I mentioned a 3 year old ... some people have said I'm too young to be going early menopause if that indeed is what may happen due to what they take but how I feel now with it all still there it can't be any worse .... plus I may be able to get back in my clothes and eat a full meal so yes I agree I don't want to be fobbed off too. Luckily the GP that took over from the non referral disaster is great and backing me 100% when I felt should I be that demanding but when it starts to affect life then it's all gotta go especially if it's a greedy one and growing rapidly ... yes please do keep me posted I'm quite reassured that I'm not going through this alone but obviously sorry your suffering too xx

• Posted

yes ma'am they have literally changed my whole life. I am hurting all the time and that time of the month is a nightmare. I hve been battling with these things for a long time because I don't have any insurane. The bottom portion of my body just aches. It makes you feel like something else must be wrong. My legs are numb and tingles all the time, mostly at night. I just want my life back!

• Posted

Absolutely crime sene periods, horrendous back & leg pain, constantly on the loo, anaemic, look like 6 months pregnant, weight gain.Then the side effects of the drugs to reduce it & they haven't! Living nightmar! Sounds exagerated but all on here know that to be true! sad At least we are no alone

• Posted

My experience with fibroids...heavy, heavy bleeding, cramps, back aches, headache, etc.

My doc placed me on birth control. I saw improvement each month and by three months later, started having normal periods. I was 35 at the time.

While on birth control, the fibroids shrunk. I'm not over menopause and I had a scan last February. No sign of fibroids. So between the birth control and menopause, they are gone.

• Posted

I'm *now over menopause....I mistyped teh "not/now"

• Posted

I’m so glad I’m not the only one feeling this way!  I’m 43 and have been monitoring  my fibroid for 8 years now!  It currently measures 12cm and I’m scheduled for a robotic hysterectomy at the end of the month!  As nervous as I am about the procedure, I cannot wait for this to be out of my body!  To no longer experience the horrific periods and to no longer feel like I’m constantly three months pregnant!  I hope you feel better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.