Fibroids from hell

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am 44 used to have normal regular periods now for the past 5 years they are irregular clotted profuse and this last bleed wont stop since months. i have tried natural alternatives and resorted to mefenamic acid​ 250 - took the first one dont notice any change in the bleed - what now??? i dont want to have surgery and i am afraid once i go into emergency options will be put of my hands. please advise anyone with similar experiences?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ive been taking Agnus Castus for 2 months (got mine for Holland & Barrat). Its suppose to take 2 -3 months to work and I think they are starting to. It regulates your hormones hence easing out your period. This month Ive had the easiest period in ages. I hope it continues this way.
    • Posted

wow! 2 months ... unfortunately the mefenamic acid did not work - the clots were as profuse eavry time i moved or had to use the loo - these last two days i am flat out near missed the emergency visit because i took to blackstrap molases - i tbsp every hour then lessened it - yucky but i am still here - stopped the tumeric and lemon water sipping as i read tumeric and lemon water are both blodd thinners - also read the same for BSM strangely but i was desperate to fend off the anemia - i will research the Angus Castus and try to get myself up to the health store. here the walk in clinic was closed by 2 pm when i could get myself there and tomorrow they are off so no chance to ask for the Tranexamic Acid ( in canada its prescription only!) plus cant get a progesterone only pill either - geez! never realised how much it sucks to be a woman in Toronto! there is however a promising MRI trial study going on to blast the demon fibroids - for those trying for a baby i think it is worth considering....
  • Posted

Hi there, sorry to know that you are going through this but if you are having heavy periods with clots then it is more likely that something needs to be done. Usually doctor prescribe medicine to help with clots and bleeding but if it doesnot work then they will suggest different options that are available.I am not a expert but through my experience what i have learned is you must clearly mention your priorities like in my case i wanted to have family as i was 19 years old. I was put on merina coil to see if it works unfortunately it didnot as it was not in the right place. I was given Tranexamic acid, norethisterone, mefenamic acid,buscopan(to help me with pain at period) and iron tablets as i was anaemic. I had multiple blood transfusion and the medicines were not working on me so, they gave me Zoladex 3.6 implant which helps to shrink the fibriod but its only temporary. I was still bleeding when i had this injection that's when things started to get more serious. I did ultrasound and MRI to get better picture about my fibriod and it was quiet big and multiple in number. My consultant Dr Khazali asked me if i want to do surgery where he mentioned that there is 5% of risk of bleeding so i was not in a position to go with surgery as 5% is alot and i am young, i wanted to have family. I was asked if i wanted to do UFE  which is a non surgical way of treating fibroids by blocking off the arteries that feed the fibroids, the uterine arteries, and making the fibroids shrink but the side effect of it was having miscarriage which i felt wasn't suitable for me. I suffered for the last 3 years and hospital became my second home where i used to spend most of the time. I cried, felt pity for myself not being able to do anything, had lots of accidents at work place and college which made me embarrsed of myself infront of my colleague. Finally this summer i felt i had enough of waiting for my GP to do something so i went to USA to get my treatment where luckily i met Dr Jeannette Lager. She was so calm and caring. She explained me the options i have and keeping my priority in mind she asked me to go for open myomectomy. I had my surgery on August 10 2015 and here i am today feeling good everyday. My best suggestion is mention your priorities to your doctor,keep note of your bleeding like how many pads you change as they will ask and ask about the options that are available. Doctor's often says that try with other alternative rather than surgery as sometimes these fibroids shrink. Hope my post helped you and all the best.

• Posted

OMG! so sorry to hear your diagnoses so young! i had my son at around that age and then dream years of well behaved periods now this zap from some angered moon goddess - seroiusly i wish there were easily available alternatives for women to deal with being a woman especially where personal health is concered - only recently here in canada the tampon tax was recalled and still birth control pills and life saving medicine like Tranexamic acid, mefenamic acid, etc - what sense does it make to regulate the life out of us women eh? i do take OTC iron which was doing no good even though i doubled to twice on a bad day - scared of iron overdose i went for the BSM which did let me at least crawl around to the 'puter to see what the sisters have to say - i so far have managed to avoid the blood transfusionetc but i hear there is a new drug to shrink the fibriods - v expensive - lasts for 6 months probably not covered buy insurance but as i said to the sister above there is a study trial for an MRI based fibroid zapper - no invasion involved - i wonder if its available your end?  the side effect a miscarriage sounds really very mush something i too would avoid for future pregnancies sake so sorry for the 3 years of your life and the attitudes you faced - i am a virtual prisoner of my home for that reason too and i laud you for your courage to do the open myomectomy. at my age i really am crossing everything i have hoping menopause will arive sooner than later and the fibroids will shrink thank you so much for the sharing.
  • Posted

Hey Honey, I hear your pain, and believe me I can empathize with you from my own personal journey from hell. I have had that condition since I was in my teens, 2 weeks on pms, losing water and feeling good for a couple of days only to puff up, bleed, cramp and hate life all over again. But now finally, at 52 years of age I have overcome my lifelong battle and I'm doing it my own way! I was scheduled for surgery a few months ago and I thought it was my only option. It was going to be either the hysterectomy or embolism, neither which appealed to me! I am AB negative blood type and recently had 2 transfusions, no fun and very expensive to add insult to injury, no pun intended. To cut to the chase,(I could go on and on) I'll spare you and tell you what I've been doing and it's working like a charm smile Go out and buy yourself some Bragg organic apple cider vinegar and some black strap molassis. If you can stomach it, Take a full tblspoon of each once in the morning and once at night followed by a full glass of water. Vinegar is acid and the Blackstrap will balence it. The vinegar will shrink those fibroids and the Bstrap will help with the bleeding. Don't forget to get at least moderate exercise, cut out dairy and sugar that feeds the fibroids. I wish you well Sara, Elana
    • Posted

so so sorry that had to endure all those years of hell - cannot imagine - at 52 you cetainly deserve to win the battle big time - yeah for you - hope for me - i hope i will avoid any all surgical options and  transfusions, i did buy black strap molassis i think it saved me today - i can crawl to the computer to read this and sit here to type - waiting for mon to see if i can ask for a set of progrsterone pills as an emergency standyby - i wonder if they will work - i need to ride this thing out and come out alive at the end of the menopause tunnel not life paused - had a hard life and i look forwarsd to alive at least - i can stomach the vinegar - only afraid it will thin my blood further and the bleeds wll become worse? i dont eat dairy, i have added much legumes, vitamens b12 calcium, zinc, magnesuim vit d and k too - sugar is my demon i will try to slay but thank you sincerely to you and all who shared. i will keep informed and share info i get further...
    • Posted

Sounds to me like you are definitely on the right tracksmile I know you will beat it. I honestly thought I was going to bleed to death a few months ago it was the worst and when I say that I mean I literally stood up and blood spilled out of me like a faucet, It was the clots causing all that bleeding and when the vinegar went to work it stopped it almost immediately. I would'nt worry about it making you bleed more, it will most likely do just the opposite unless it's something else, not the fibroids. I got the Bragg at the grocery store natural food section for 4.99. All the best <3

elana>

elana>

• Posted

Sara, also wanted to mention, it started working almost immediately. In that same month I had a period with 2 days of moderate to heavy bleeding and then it trickled off. Its been about 6 months and I've been keeping at it. I've had almost no bleeding except for some spotting and a very light period.
  • Posted

just a follow up - last night had to take apo medroxy 5 mg every 4 hours - this morning the bleeding is down to small clots and changing pads every 2 hours - a small relief at least - hope to stretch the tablets to monday morning so i get to the doc. lots of spoons of blackstrap and sesame seed paste and juice and water later i am at least bathe, managed to ready an emergeny stay bag (God forbid that) and online to research some more... sigh. dear sister sufferers my heart id with you all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.