Fibroids post menopause

Posted , 3 users are following.

Are there any of you post menopausal women out there who still have fibroids?  My recent transvaginal pelvic scan has revealed 2 large fibroids ( I don't know how large yet) and my ovaries couldn't be seen.  I don't know what the next step will be. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carina, yes I am 58 and I was diagnosed with 9 years ago, when I was perimenopausal, I believe I only have bleeding now from the fibroids. I have been taking Esmya, now on my 3rd course. I believed the first time that I had almost got rid of them, but they still grow back each time. It stops the bleeding for about 3 months though, and the amount of blood has never been as much as before I started on Esmya.

I don't know what my next step is, of course a hysterectomy has been advised, but I am reluctant, I am also interested in UFE but have been told it won't solve the problem.

• Posted

Thanks for your response.  I'm 53 and 5 years post-menopause.  In 2005 (11 years ago) I was peri-menopausal and a pelvic scan then showed a small simple cyst on one of my ovaries and fibroids and I was told back then not to worry about it which I didn't until recently when I started getting vaginal bleeding which really scared me as I hadn't had a proper period from about 5 years ago.  My bleeding is down to a large polyp which I am having removed tomorrow.  I asked my GP why I wasn't monitored for my cyst and fibroids and she said that if its pre-menopausal then they don't tend to monitor which I'm not happy about really.  My recent transvaginal scan has shown up 2 large fibroids and my ovaries couldn't be seen (though not sure why yet).   I am reluctant to have a hysterectomy if it's suggested because I have other health issues, hoping they can find other ways to sort it but taking one step at a time for the moment.
  • Posted

Had my polyp removed today (not a very nice experience) but at least it's done.  Only problem is I now have a 2 - 3 week wait (and worry knowing me) for the biopsy results but hopefully no news is good news.  I spoke to the gyn about my fibroids from my scan but she didn't mention anything about having to have them out and didn't sound surprised about the fact my ovaries did not show up, she said she expects that post menopause.  Just a waiting game again now. 
    • Posted

Hope all is well when you get the results. I would expect the fibroids also to cause bleeding, interesting that she thought the polyp was the culprit, and she is not concerned with the fibroids. Obviously if they are not causing you discomfort or bleeding there's no need for any intervention.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.