Fibroids & prostrap

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a large fibroid & am currently awaiting a hysterectomy in the uk (added to waiting list 3rd August 2017) but massive backlog due to winter pressures so no surgery date as yet. Have Mirena coil but this is not controlling unpredictable heavy bleeding & clotting. Have received a letter today from consultant suggesting monthly Prostrap injections. Anybody with a fibroid & coil in situ tried this drug and how are you getting on with it?

Thank you 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Greetings Sarah, 

No I don't have any experience with Mirena or Prostrap but I am all too familiar with other methods & medications due to  having a large fibroid & the dire effect that it can have on your body & your life.

I was constantly sought after to have a hysterectomy by a number of doctors & being told that that was my Only  real effective option.  

Even with all the pain &  monstrous bleeding that almost cost me my life something deep in my gut was telling me there was another way just hold on.  So I kept praying on it.

Long story short I met someone on my quest of healing seemingly coincidental (which I know God had us to cross paths) who told me of her story & what she had done.  She informed me about UFE - Uterine Fibroid Embolization, have you ever heard of this? 

• Posted

Sure Mali,

Speaking from my experience It's a less invasive procedure.  No cutting or bloody surgery. 

Basically I was given contrast & pain meds where u're awake but in the "twilight" sense where you're woosy & don't feel anything. 

I was hooked up to a monitor, a tiny nick was made into my wrist & a thin catheter like instrument was inserted into a vein leading to the fibroid's blood flow where the fibroid was feeding off of. 

The fibroid's blood flow was then blocked off by tiny particles that were released through the catheter which causes the fibroid to shrink & die off (over a period of time) & you do experience some relief right away.   & all of this was highlighted on the monitor by way of  the contrast that they had me to drink.

You'll either be released the same day --after a period of rest or the next morning depending on how everything goes & if u're feeling any pain after the procedure.

Do you suffer from fibroids?...

• Posted

Yes. Unfortunately. They just found one (8.1 cm) last week. But I've been suffering from heavy periods and a pain on my right side for along time.

My gynacologist has recomnended Hysterectomy, but I'm doing my research and leaning towards UFE.

I'm just afraid from the possibility that this procedure would cause Ovarian damage, and then beginning of Menopause. Do you know anything about this risk?

Thank you!

• Posted

You're welcome Mali.

& well yes, like with any surgery or procedure there are risks.  But this is where you come in do your research, ask a lot of questions get a 2nd 3rd & 4th opinion until you feel sure because when  it's all  said & done  it is Your body.

Gather your information weigh your options & then decide. Make sure you find an experienced Interventional Radiologist to perform the procedure if you go this route.  Make an appointment for a consultation just to sit down & talk with them before anything. See how you feel about it & go from there....

• Posted

& I didn't go into menopause.

I have to say I am sooo much better off today.  The tumor has shrunk very significantly & is still shrinking.  I had the procedure mid last year.  The bleeding has tremendously improved & my monthlys are about back to a normal flow.  No more gushing & hemorrhaging.

My bout with my fibroid was a more complicated situation  it had me soo sick.  I had multiple hospital stays &  transfusions to match  it almost took my life last year...

It wreaked much havoc on my body pushing & pressing on other organs & such.  So much so that it caused an extensive blood clot in my leg which caused life threatening complications.  It put me in the trauma unit where they told me they've never seen someone survive with such a low blood count.  From there I was on bed rest in the hospital then I went from a walker to a cane. It was crazy.

By having the fibroid treated I am now Finally healing due to the heavy weight & pressure being taken off of my other organs.  I am on a beautiful rode of recovery taking things slowly & so  looking forward to life after.... Glory be to God I am so very grateful & thankful for my life.  

I just want other women to know that there are other less invasive options out there don't just take the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd opinion as Bible. If you feel what you are being told is not right why go along with it?... Never ignore your gut instinct.

Yes it's a scary thing when u're in so much pain with never ending bleeding but just pray, do your research the answer will come... U can come out on the rosier side of fibroids. Hang in there ladies may God Bless & keep you...

• Posted

You're very welcome & thank you for communicating.  I hope everything goes well for you take care...

• Posted

Hi Sara,

sorry to to hear about your issue. I had very very large fibroids too. Doctors said the uterus was as large as  6 months pregnancy and the only option given to me by 2 doctors was remove my womb . That's heserectomy I guess. But I kept on praying and doing my research online until I found out about UFE. I had this done in 2016. It as the best decision I took. It reduced my heavy period flow from 10 days to 3 days. No longer that ocean flow of blood threatening  to bring out my liver and kidney. No more anemia or sickly look. Am healthier and happier than ever with new level of energy.

I thint you need to xplore that 

wishing you the best

Ruth

• Posted

Thank you🙄 i was told that u wpuld eventually need a hysterectomy after my surgery because they well grow back. Thank you so much for sharing your experince🙏🏾I will definitely explore that option🤗🙄🙏🏾🙌🏾

• Posted

Hi there, Prostrap, is similar to Zoladex I think, they stop your periods by tricking your body into a temporary menopause whilst on the drug. It's another way to try to reduce the size of the fibroid & also give you a rest from the bleeding. There's pro's & con's but after 6 months of Zoladex, I appreciated the break it gave me.

x

• Posted

😮 thank you go the information🙄. If you don't mind me asking what were the pro in cons🤔

• Posted

pro's no periods - (no shrinkage for me) main con hot flushes x

• Posted

No periods😲😮😯🤗🤗. I'm definitely going to look into that😊🙏🏾. Think I'm okay with hot flashes💁🏾🙄. Thank u again😊🤓🙄

• Posted

Thanks for the information Heather.

I have now got a date through for hysterectomy on 30th May so have decided  not to try the Prostrap.

Sarah 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.