Fibroids......What are the options ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids and an enlarged cervix in 2011 but didn't start having major bleeding til now. I mean I have always had irregular periods and discharge to where I have to wear a pad everyday but last week the bleeding got worse and clots the size of a golf ball. I had to sit in a bathtub for 30 mins til the blood and clots stopped coming out. I have an appt today with the gynecologist and am very nervouse cause I have not been one since 2011 so not sure what to expect. I am 44 and my child bearing years are over I just don't wanna think about getting a hysterectomy and hope there is other options . Need some advice please. Thank you.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I have over 20 fibroids and a enlarged cervix.I started my periods aged 9 and they were awful.I really suffered and was admitted to hospital in 2003 and it was found that I had a fibroid the size of a orange.It was removed but it didn't make any difference.In 2011 I went on a diet and it was only when I lost five stone that my periods became much lighter.In 2012 my periods went back to being really heavy,I had a scan and was told there were five very small fibroids which they refused to remove,I tried different tablets and had injections but it did not make any difference.

Last year it got really bad and I went to my doctors who was not helpful so I changed my doctor and was referred to see a gyne.I had a scan and it was found that I had over 20 fibroids some small and some large.The gyne I saw insisted that the only optiion was to have a hysterectomy which I refused.I am 50 and although I will not be having any children it seem so final.I opted for a fibroid embolisation on June 24th.I had for some reason stopped having my period in May.The whole procedure took less then a hour,I had some discomfort but was out of bed very quickly and went home the next day.

I was told by the surgeon that it looked like I was going through the menpause so the fibroids would of gone anyway,My pain has gone and I have not had a period.

I remember the days like you were I would sit in the bath till the blood flow had stopped and leaking through my clothes.Its your body so don't let anyone talk yu into having a hysterectomy there are other options.

Love Millie

• Posted

Thanks Millie. I am glad you feel better now. Idk how many I have but will soon know when I can schedule an ultrasound then will go over my options . I just want relief .
  • Posted

Also ask about Endometrial Ablation, the Mirena IUD, Luprin shot, and Lysteda. I am also thinking which of these is better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.