fibromialgia alternative

Posted , 7 users are following.

another alternative to relive pain although i dont fancy it much

is to beat the area with stinging nettles which numbs the area

used to be used alot in the past for the relive of rhematisum .

ANY TAKERS cry

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Actually I have heard that that works well and a friend sells the stinging nettles at the market for just that reason.  I was hoping for a more permanent pain relief one that might draw out the nasties
  • Posted

There has been a study on using nettles for chronic pain.

Nettle sting for chronic knee pain: a randomised controlled pilot study

It didn't seem much better than the control group but Patients liked the treatment mostly because it was 'natural'. The sting was acceptable and viewed as a minor irritation.

My suggestion for Fibromyalgia is to raise Vitamin D3, 25(OH)D levels to 125nmol/l or above. There are several research papers showing Fibromyalgia patients obtain the greatest reduction in symptoms when 25(OH)D levels are 50ng/ml or above. It generally takes around 35iu vitamin D3 daily to get 25(OH)D raised to that level. Somewhere between 5000 iu and 10,000iu/daily should be effective. Magnesium and omega 3 DHA enable vitamin d to work more efficiently at resolving inflammation.

• Posted

bit like self-flagellation kind of thing?

I thought this was something of a joke suggestion...and its certainly drawn out our humour...!!! ....but what a fascinating thread ! xxxxxxx

Thanks Tina

• Posted

theres alot of wise words spoken by our ansetors

if you look in to recent history and how we used to do stuff

its totaly amazing that we are all still here .

like they used to belive in purgering the body once a week u might remember people telling stories of having a good dose of syrup of figs .

pre that they used to swallow a metal tablet which     was total toxic [i forget now which metal it was made of] but it certainly cleared you out , then it was washed and put back in the cupboard for further use . mmmmmmmmmm sounds lovely .not !neutral  a lot of things they used for colds and minor elements still stand up today . Some like the previous i think il give a miss.

• Posted

And our ancestors made it into long lives without all these modern lab drugs....I believe the drug explosion began in the 1960;s...

More people in the world, more health issues, it's a vicious circle of it all.

The older we are the more we know the then and now.

• Posted

When I was a child my relatives nearly all took a laxative on a Saturday night.

And it was Vicious !

Gregory's Mixture was, in the Victorian era, a popular stomachic and aperient medicine, consists of two parts of rhubarb, four of calcined magnesia, and one of ginger. It could be used with benefit occasionally, but not systematically

• Posted

sounds like fun in there house on saturday night.

all sounds pretty vicious wink

• Posted

My Grandma also dosed my mother with epsom salts periodically and the Dr now says it could have possibility been the cause of her diverticulitis - who knows.
    • Posted

It was more fun on a Sunday morning. Can you imagine the fight to get to the bathroom first:-)

They took bowels seriously in those days. Hospital patients had an enema prior to surgery as did mothers about to give birth. Lord Hill when he was the Radio Doctor often used to start his programme with 'Have your bowels moved today'

Laxatives were big business and well advertised. When my brother in law was a little boy he ate a bar of Exlax that had been put through the letterbox as a sammple. 

• Posted

what a riot!

mind you I think we've gone the other way and lost interest in our bowels...hence we're all clogged up!!

• Posted

Had a good chuckle, thanks Derek.  

Any thoughts on what the 'big business' drug/medicin of today is?

• Posted

are poor little mite.

rolleyes we as kids used to have enos.

have you every seen the film based on doctor kelloge

he had some funny ideas on health , quite evil some of the things he suggeseted.

• Posted

very possiably i used to take a spoonful daily in my tea to keep my skin free from spots .often wonder if that caused me health problems.

epsom salts are harsh chemical used in gardening .using to much can cause aneiama which i suffered from in my 20sand 30s . althou the ones you take internaly are cleaned and sterile they are the same chemicaly.razz

• Posted

oh goodness and only one loo then.

we always had to ask patients whilst standing at the foot of their beds clipboard in hand "have you had your bowels opened today?" ....it was all so normal then ....but talk about a loud announcement!!

so did your BIL go for a run after that encounter with Exlax? I take it exlax is some kind of aperient?

• Posted

my great grandma died in 1951 aged 91 my grandma was 89 they both avoided doctors like the plague . stout was a good medincine full of iron winter green. and lots of vegatables and hard work . so i think i will follow there lead .wink
    • Posted

agreed...just good for bathing in...and pulling out toxins...but internally 

oooourf

• Posted

You said it boy!!

All those desperate suicidal folk as a result of trying to lower from 250 to 200....to no end but number crunching and fat payments to pharma

• Posted

This is from the obituary of Dr Denis Burkitt. Who later in his career took an interest in bowels. He used to ask in his LBC Radio programmes, Are you a Floater or a Sinker?

By 1964 ordinary clinical work had lost its appeal and Burkitt dropped his scalpel in favour of full-time research, first in Uganda then in the offices of the Medical Research Council in London. Almost at once he hit gold again. It had an unlikely source. An eccentric but highly original naval physician, TL Cleave, published a book in 1966 blaming many diseases of modern civilisation on the modern habit of eating carbohydrate (sugars and starches) in refined form, stripped of their bulky, chewy coverings. Cleave emphasised the dangers of refined products, chiefly sugar and white flour. Burkitt saw the logic of the hypothesis but, turning it round, found himself looking at the positive virtues of the matter removed in producing refined foods, especially the bran which is removed in flour- milling. He knew that, in rural Africa, food was eaten in unprocessed or lightly milled form and reasoned that the higher fibre-content of such food could explain why, in his surgical practice in Uganda, he had seldom seen diseases like gall-stones, appendicitis, varicose veins and haemorrhoids.

It was time to make some new maps, but this time on a worldwide scale. Burkitt sent out questionnaires to hundreds of hospitals in rural areas of the Third World and proved Cleave right in most respects. Where sugar and white flour were rare, so were the diseases of Western civilisation. This led to several classic papers and endless lecture tours emphasising the virtues of fibre. We now know the links are much more complex than that, but Burkitt's vivid advocacy of the fibre hypothesis, together with his great prestige, forced scientists and especially nutritionists to think in a new way. The sciences of nutrition, gastroenterology and epidemiology were revolutionised.

Burkitt's lectures were always packed. His slides were telling, his one-liners memorable. Purists were offended by his simple approach, his sweeping statements. But he was a pioneer and, like Columbus, he could not always know exactly where he was 

• Posted

i remember going to see my gp in the 60s and 70s and before they asked you what was wrong ,they pull down your eye lid. check your nails and your toungue and feel your neck for glands .

that was the days when doctors used to work from a house with just 2 gps .and you didnt need an appointment u just turned up in surgery opening hours and waited .

of course things are so much better now .joke lol

• Posted

Tee Hee

yes i remember those good old days...medical staff actually did some work!!!!!

• Posted

When I was in hospital as a Kid. We were asked if we had a 'mark' today.

If no a dose of cascara . A second no got you wakened at 6am for an enema.

He had the runs all day:-)

Exlax is still on the market, Ex-Lax Senna Chocolate Laxatives .It says suitable for children over six years of age. He was much younger.

• Posted

my oh my!!

6 am enema....delicious !

• Posted

In the 50's anemic hospital patients were given a bottle of Stout to drink. Ones with a poor appetite got an aperitif of Sherry. 

My granny used to heat a poker in the fire and plunge it into her glass of Stout as it added iron.

• Posted

America uses different numbers for cholesterol and blood glucose levels than here.
    • Posted

doctors had time to spend with there patcients and did there job well i am sure there are still some very good doctors who are disheartned by the presures that are put on them.

that would like to do there job better.

but an awful lot just dont care like they used to .

i have a friend whos a nurse and she had a trainee working with her she was told to fetch a sick bowl ,her reply was i dont do vomit iv been to university .says it all really .cool

• Posted

they knew alot hun much more then we credited them with .neutral
    • Posted

Do you think that the Epsom Derby originally was a rush of people running to get to the toilet?

From a recent article:

For years they’ve been a trusted cure for aches and pains. But thanks to Gwyneth Paltrow, Victoria Beckham and Elle Macpherson, Epsom salts are fast becoming a beauty staple. 

Costing a fraction of the price of designer potions - you can pick up a tub for £1.25 at your local chemist - they’re being hailed as a miracle fix for everything from greasy hair to a bloated stomach and lacklustre skin.

The salts’ healing properties were discovered in the early 17th century when a farmer living near Epsom, Surrey, discovered a spring rich in magnesium sulphate.  

• Posted

i think that might have been a weight issue because he did put on a hughe amount of weight  as he got older.
    • Posted

No he evidently had taken it for many years. It always surprised me that he had the breath to blow his trumpet as he constantly smoked. Whenever there was a time in any piece where he was not playing he stepped to the side of the stage and lit up.
    • Posted

if you think about it maybe blowing the trumpet may have helped clear the lungs from tar.

because the welsh miners of the past had some wonderful singing voices and they were chocked on coal dust for 12hrs a day .and in yorkshire miners had brass bands  so maybe excersisng the lungs keeps them from getting clogged . is that to simple makes sense to me.

• Posted

No I had not heard of it but have a suspicious mind.

I had "Yuppie Flu" before it was called that for about two years from 1970.

Doctors were of no help and made my condition worse. When my GP referred me to a  consultant he listed the meds he had prescribed and added 'A gross case of over prescribing" 

• Posted

if you check out the info your find it has nothing to do with drugs or doctors

its a retraining programme . it has had some amazing results , i am going to have a go .what can you loose .

theres a free down load as well so you cant loose anything by having a look.

• Posted

Yes I know,  I read the Guff.

One treatment that is part of it is Cognitive behavioural therapy . That I thought might be an earner and I bought shares in a company some years ago who have computer self help programmes that both the UK NHS and US governments have bought.

With new contracts the company was just about to go into profit until last week when the biggest lender to the company pulled the rug from under their feet as he obviously wants to buy the company on the cheap when it is delisted as he has demanded.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.