Fibromyalgia

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi A couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I'm in absolute agony all the time, especially after sitting or lying still. I have an appointment at the pain clinic on Thursday. Can someone tell me what medications are available for it please xx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I got seen by pain management a couple of weeks ago and given a cocktail of antidepressants and zombie capsules.  I wasn't depressed before I had the capsules but I was after.  Three months on Gabapentin following a back injury but the new capsules with a similar name were enough to make me decide they weren't for me. eek
  • Posted

Pregablin which is knows as lyrica

gabapentin also know as neurotonin

Duluxotene also known as cymbalta

Amytriptlyn also knows as elavil

Nortryptilyn also knows as pamelor

carbamazepine also know as tegretol

Milnacipran also known as savella

Muscle relaxers sometimes if you ask for them

Then you have paracetamol, NSAIDs, co codomal and stronger opioids but they are harder to get.

I have included both generic and brand names above as if you want to research and read reviews on them mostly they are talked about by brand name on us sites.

Good luck at the pain clinic.

• Posted

Hi Kate

Charlotte is bang on with the list offered.  However not everyone can take prescription meds because of the side effects. I have to rely on alternatives such as epsom salt baths, bio freeze gel, hypnotherapy, cbt,massage/chiropractor, gentle exercise and diet. Good luck with the pain clinic.  Keep us posted.

• Posted

I second the diet route, I have honestly seen some improvement since eating better, when ive fallen off the wagon for christmas etc after a few days the pain gets alot worse.

Unfortunately I cant offer any decent meal idea as my imiganation sucks but i have egg on brown seeded toast for lunch everyday,  snack on almonds (i get roasted/salted), replace sweet treats with fruit, (pineapple and grapes) and for dinner i have chicken breast flavoured with seasoning and veg or a stir fry noodle dish, weekend i still have a roast and allow myself the odd pizza or something.

Its not a cure but every bit of reduced pain makes a difference

• Posted

Thank goodness for the slow cooker - even on bad days I can manage to throw some (pre packed) fresh veg and some meat and a tin of tomatoes and some herbs in and switch it on!   Find it makes more than enough - just freeze the rest for another day.  Cooking with fresh ingredients just takes a little planning in the beginning.  Almonds/cashews are really good for you. I use quinoa and mix tuna and salad veg with a dash of lemon and thyme in a bowl and have that for lunch (keeps for 3 days in fridge) and is easy to take to work.   I have an inch of fresh fruit juice in a glass and fill it up with fizzy water.  Perhaps we ought to start a "what do you cook to make you feel better thread!!"
    • Posted

I love that idea, i cant find any recepies online that are healthy that dont need 100 ingreedients, even ones in my healthy cook books just look so un appealing or complex, stuff id expect to find in a posh 5* restaurant which just isnt practical for a quick lunch!

Im also trying to avoid potatoes, i still have them now and again but they are known to be inflammatory and I think they do upset the balance.

Ive never thought diet was that important as when i was young i eat alot of junk and i didnt hurt but I do notice a difference now when ive been eating better and then fall off the wagon, especially stomach issues are non existent when eating well and pain is decreased enough to notice.

I drink tea with sugar which is my hardest habit to kick but PM i drink lime cordial with fizzy water.

• Posted

Hi I  have my first appointment with the hospital pain clinic also on Thursday.  Do you have any idea what to expect when we get there.  Very nervous of hospitals worried I might get tongue tied and won't get across to them how ill I feel at times.  

Thank You

Sue

• Posted

Hi Kate:

Sorry you have this as well as I. Since fibro is a condition and doctors don't know what causes it and basically it is not cured unless something new comes out, you just have to make the best of it. Sounds terrible, doesnt it? I have it for many, many years and daily I wake up in pain and hard for me just to get out of bed. Enter in other factors such as spinal stenosis, arthritis and maybe psiorisis together, problems be ome complicated. Then it is really hard to geta good diagnosis. As far as meds are concerned, there are so many. The rheumatologist may give you pain meds up to a point. That is only milder forms as hydrocodone,tramadol, or something similar. I would ask him if he can refer you to a pain doc. I have been round and round with this and is no easy task. I think now a days it is gettin harder to get stronger pain meds that fall into opiates and morphine as it is a class 2 narcotic which is federally regulated. Probably that isbecause of its addictive properties as well as it is being obused. The ones that really need it has to suffer because of all these regulations. It can take awhile until you get the stronger meds as less addictive meds have to be tried first. Believe me, I have been that route and is very frustrating. There are othings that can be tried such trigger point injections which I had but didnt really work. You have to ask your doctor about these things I feel the most important thing is to get a good doctor who is more understanding of fibro. Just be patient and try meditation, self hypnosis, light exercise, warm water as in a pool, massage, accupuncture, even certain foods. The most important thing is to keep a positive outlook as much as you can and remember you always have support here from people who care. By the way if you want resources, don't hesitate to search them out. I am unable tomention them here but I could send it to by private message which is available here. Take care, feel better and let me know how you are doing.

mel

• Posted

I too was diagnosed a week ago with fibromyalgia. I believe this is a secondary condition that describes the symptoms of a primary condition they cannot diagnose through tests (as yet) I have suffered for years yet no test is ever conclusive. I believe I have both a dairy and wheat (gluten intolerance) but tests do not show this. I do however find that my health improves and pain reduces when I remove these proteins from my diet. If I fall off the wagon, symptoms come back ten fold. Interestingly many medications have gluten in them which may be counter productive. There is no test for gluten into, only celiac.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.