Fibromyalgia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Any info on this condition would be gratefully received. 

A Pain Clinic Consultant has just mentioned that I maybe suffering from this condition whilst in a Consultation about something completely different! 

I do have pain but from physical injury and after checking the web I don't really tick nearly all of the boxes. So rather confused.

First hand knowledge of this condition would be most helpful. I am due back in clinic in 4 weeks and would like to go back newly educated!

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi stephanie53613 fibro is based on widespread pain, pain can be anywhere in the body. Fibro ranges from mild to severe it affects us all different. fibro has many many symptoms earache tinnitus sweating fatique pain blured vision difficulty with speech walking difficulties balance fibro fog hair loss sensitive to light and noise breathless costocondrtitus[ chest pain] these are just a few of the many symptoms you can have. Fibro symptoms are treated with pain relief from your gp. your gp can also refer you to a pain clinic cbt therapy. some areas offer accupuncture for 12 weeks hydrotherapy. some areas have fibro support groups you can join. fibro is normally diagnosed by a rheumatologist as yet their is no cure for fibro. Gps normally like to rule out other conditions it could be like rheumatoid arthritus before refering you to a rheumatologist.fibro is trial error where pain relief is concerned as what suits one person may not another. we are all different fibro affects us all differently. you can some times go into remission where you may find you have no pain. how long the remission lasts depends on how fibro affects you. fibro affects every part of our body from the head to our toes.  Hope this helps and gives you an insight into fibro take care
    • Posted

Thank you for your detailed repsonse. It was during a clinic visit with a Consultant Anaesthetist that he mentioned that he thought I may be suffering from this condition.  I just can't get my head around why he thought that. My pain is localised to my knee after it 'popped' shortly after an arthroscopy for a torn mescuis and pain in my bicep after multple surgeries for damage. Yes. I'm tired but then I can't sleep properly due to left knee and right shoulder pain. No rash, no swelling, no flu like symtoms, no vision problems, no sweating, no beathlessness and only those 2 areas of pain not on the joints.  My memory isn't great but then I am so doped up on Oxycodone I'm not surprised.

Thanks again, I'm now even more convinced that I am not a sufferer.

It comes to something when it's the patient having to convince a qualified medical personnel that they DO NOT have a condition.

• Posted

Kaz explained it perfectly, more research needs to be done on the condition, when you know and can relate to kaz' description, then you will know. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi stephanie:

I hope you are coping with this.  I have it as well and your right, pain everywhere.  I also have in addition to fibro is being very tired, listless, unmotivated and a struggle to get things done.  I may have AS as well according to my regular GP.  I do have an appointment with a neurologist as I have peripheral neuropathy.  In other words, I got a lot more complications which tend to make me being hard to actually detect what I exactly have.  I try to rule out other conditions but hard to do.  This is what I have found in the past.  I was going to a rheumetologist back a few years ago as I had a lot of inflamation with my muscles as she detected it was auto immune.  My sedimentation rate was extreamly high, like 104.  First she put me on prednosone which helped bring the infamation down to half but still not enough.  Then she put me on methotextrate a fairly potent medication to counteract the damage being done.  I couldn't stay on it for more than 2 weeks as it made me feel sick with neausa and particularly a very tired feeling.  Then she wanted to put me on Embrel or other biological meds which is even stronger.  I didn't go on it because I couldn't afford it. 

Now, in your case, this is an important step.  Fibro is determined by having at least 11 trigger points when you press on it, you will feel pain.  You are generally achy all over.  The second thing is to have you sed rate checked to see if your muscles are inflamed.  This is a rather important step.  You have to discuss with your doctor what treatments are available an d if you qualify for certain treatment.  I had trigger point injections every 2 weeks which was supposed to help me reduce the pain.  Since it is a type of xylocane used in deadening the nerves for dental work, it wears off quickly.  The poking was no fun and done a number of times.  Maybe 2 or 3 hours before the meds wore off and back with the pain.  These treatments have been going on for over a year.  I find that in reality, it really doesn't work and it keeps you going back to the doctor regularly as that is how they can keep you as a patient to make more money from you and the insurance company. You gotta be careful when chosing a rheumetologist who knows how to treat you and don't load you up with costly medications if not needed.  I had 2 rheumetologists who failed at that and one no longer works in the medical field.  You can guess what I am talking about.  So,just be careful.  I wish you the best in your endevours.  Take care and feel well.

mel

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I only have 2 particularly painful areas. No inflammation but as a result of injuries caused by 2 separate falls. (If I had not been kept waiting for shoulder surgery and the pain I was in I would not have collapsed at home and damaged by knee!!). Unfortunately no choice on Doctors as care is offered through the local hospital. The Consultant has prescribed Lidnocaine patches on top of my regular opiate based pain killers and wants to see me back in clinic in 4 weeks. So my appointment letter arrived today. An appointment is now 7 weeks time!!! Too busy to see me before apparently. Has referred me for Physiotherapy but not too sure on waiting time for that. Was recommended form of treatment on the 29th Feb but was only referred on the 19th April. Don't you just love the health dept. Meanwhile I supposed to carry on as before. Still not convinced I have fibro...... 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.