Fibromyalgia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Denise, hope you are recovering and keeping better?

Do you know when applying for PIP benefit, if it is true that the DWP do not class fibromyalgia as an illness, which  causes difficulties in managing every day tasks etc?  

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm plodding along, thank you.

I have no idea where or who you have heard this from but it's totally NOT true! PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis. It totally depends on how those conditions affect you daily. Lots of people claim PIP because of the way Fibromyalgia affects them, myself included. Although i do have other conditions too.

With PIP if those descriptors don't apply to you then you won't score those points, it's as simple as that.

• Posted

Hi, Just wanted to say that I have Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS and have had no problem getting both PIP and being put in the ESA Support Group. Like Denise says it’s about how your conditions effect your life, not the diagnosis. Some people with Fibromyalgia can work full time whilst others, like me are housebound. I think the key thing is providing lots of detail on your forms and including as much supporting evidence as possible. I have found that a good letter from your GP can make all the difference. 
    • Posted

Thank you Teacher40 for your reply, hope you are not too bad at present, take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.