Fibromyalgia and breathing problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have breathing problems with fibromyalgia?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes there are breathing issues, not life threatening just a dam nuisance at times.  It's not a forever thing, it comes and goes, and is mainly to do with your energy levels, fatigue etc....  Just like swollowing issues, they come and go... Just be reassured it/they are NOT LIFE THREATENING...  so you can relax now and just learn to deal, and best to take time out to relax, feet up with a cuppa or have a good nap/sleep...   All the best...xx
  • Posted

Hi chery106050 I am having breathing problems at the min, as deb said  it does come and go. its a nusience when it happens like many of the symptoms of fibro take care
  • Posted

Hi cheryl:

I do have some breathing problems as well but whether it is due to fibro, I couldn't say.  I do feel stuffy a lot but probably due to allergies.  When you are weakened with fibro, all kinds of things enter into this.  Being tired all the time, hurting, depression and lack of motivations does set in if you let it.  This is a mindset thing and you have to just take care of yourself.  There are many steps to undertake and that is trying you best to keep positive, meditate, use self hypnosis, relax and if the pain is bad, your doctor can prescribe some other medication to help with the pain.  I find to ease the pain is warm water bath or pool, massage although it can be somewhat painful when the sore areas are touched, it still feels good, light exercise which you can discuss with your doctor and physical therapy can be helpful.  Just keep a positive outlook and you know people here can help.  That is why we are here.  You are not alone with this, believe me when I say this.  For the several months I have been here, I was able to see the light and the longer you stay, the more you will learn.  You then can learn enough to help others as well.  When someone is new to this forum, it feels good for me to contact them to let them understand that they are not alone.  They appreciate it and it makes you feel good.  So, take care, become active here and you will be surprised what a diffrence this can make,

• Posted

From birth I have been a chronic Asthmatic, however in the last several years I have basically no issues at all with it..  Gone from 4 inhalers of Ventoline a month to NONE....  Why I don't know, it's either because of when I moved just after my MVA, with the Fibro thing already in chronic stage, the fresh country air or a combination of fresh air and Tramadol' tablets  Tramadol works on the spine first from the neck down.  It will NOT cancel out all Fibro Pain issues, infact it can make you worse with stiffening of the muscles....  

I never ever suffered with Fibro pre my car accident, but I was always a chronic asthmatic... so go figure!  I haven't had any issues since but I do have Chronic Fibro now since my accident..

• Posted

My asthma is getting worse with my fibromyalgia, I'm finding it hard to get it under control. So you are not alone try and stay strong
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl

I haven't been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I have all the s symptoms including breathing problems. I have had a heart echocardiograph, chest x Ray, 24 hour ECG and bloods taken a nd all normal.

I seem to get chaotic breathing, by that I mean I am conscious of my breathing and it doesn't come naturally, unless my mind is on something else like talking to someone. It's not after exertion it can be when I'm sitting or walking and sometimes resting. It's hard to describe. My sinuses also feel stuffy but I don't get allergies or hay fever normally. If I dwell on it too much I overbreath and it gets a bit chaotic. I feel as if I am not taking in enough air. Does this make any sense to you? Do you feel anything similar?

• Posted

Yes, I feel like I can't take a deep breath in. What I did just find out recently was that I have GERD and the breathing problems sound like it could also be from that. I get post nasal drip, lots of mucus, lump in throat, feels like pressure in the chest and under breastbone, and even back hurts. I feel like I connect to more of the issues with GERD than with FMS, as I don't have the pain. It would sure be nice to breath normally again no matter what is causing it.
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I have history of GERD too, I hadn't thought of that. I too am getting all of the symptoms you mention, tender sternum and back ache behind sternum, mucus. Come to think of it the other night I took Gaviscon at bedtime and I did get some relief from it. It's reassuring to talk to someone with similar problems, thank you so much. Hope you get well soon. Take care x

• Posted

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a couple months ago. I noticed that when I have a fibro flare-up my breathing is quite laboured. My chest tightens up making it hard to get a deep breath. It only last for a couple days at a time though. I find that Vicks vapour rub helps a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.