Fibromyalgia and effective exercise that doesn't hurt!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. This blog spot is so helpful to me everyday as it makes me realise I'm not alone and many others are going through symptoms and helping each other with the bizarre symptoms of Fibro!

I was diagnosed a year ago. I had tiredness and pain long before and then one day it hit me exercising! I collapsed in a heap and realised I couldn't move. My body just gave up. Or my muscles did! I was very fit and healthy. Loved cardiovascular exercise. I did high impact everyday. Until that moment. That's when my life changed. I slept and slept last year away. As soon as I wake the heavy ache in my body is back.

I have tried all types of exercise since. Yoga, swimming, walking....desperate to lose the stone and a half that just piled on. Anything I try just puts me in to a flare up. I've had to go on to a very low calorie diet which has cut out bread and sugar to control weight gain that way. I know weight gain isn't the be all and end all and im thankful I have my life. It's just that I feel so hopeless my body is constantly attacking me.

Does anyone else have this constant battle with exercise and if you've mastered the control with exercise, please please tell me. Or any solution? I just want a bit of the old me back. I miss not being able to help myself. Positive thinking only gets me so far 😊

Thanks for reading x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alexalouise.

All I can suggest is what I was told by a physiotherapist who deals with fibromyalgia.  She told me to walk about half as far as I think I can manage, then return.  She said to do this three times a week, if possible.  It doesn't sound much,I know, but when everything aches I've found it more than enough.  I've found a pleasant walk near me which takes approximately 30 minutes and I've been going for that - more in summer than winter, I must be honest!

I also go to a tai chi class every week, which I love and, for cardio, if I feel up to it, I have a Move it or Lose it DVD which is very good.  Must use it more!    

I also have osteroarthritis and hip bursitis, so I am aware that it's not a good idea to overdo things.  It's all too easy to go a bit mad on the days we feel better and then suffer the results the following day.  I hope this has helped a little and you manage to sort out an exercise routine which suits you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice. I've definitely taken all those suggestions on board. You are right, walking is the way to go. I live in a beautiful area. I should use it to my advantage!

I'll look in to seeing a physiotherapist also. I didn't even think of that.

I'm going to look on Amazon now to give the cardio dvd's a go that you have said.

Greatly appreciated. Thank you xx

• Posted

Hi Alezalouise,

Like you my life seemed to change suddenly nearly 2 years ago.  I have always loved walking and helped care for my Mum and Dad and would look after my own home and there's  zipping around doing their housework and cooking for them and suddenly one day out of the blue I struggled just to climb the stairs.   The whole of my body just felt so heavy and tired.  We had a short break away found it to tiring to walk far and slept most of time.  I do not feel like the person I once was and it makes me sad.  I try not to give in to it but unfortunately if I do push myself it has a knock effect the following day.  

I know exactly where you  are coming from. My Pain Doctor has referred me for physio and I think how the hell do I manage that.

Take care

Suex

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Thank you for reading my post. Yes, just like you it was so weird how it just hit me. It was almost like something malfunctioned in my body. I just thought I'd overdone it and it would get back to normal. I'm still waiting 😩It is really unfortunate it happened on your break away. Fibro really has rubbish timing.

You both have given me the decision to ask to be referrered to a physiotherapist. When I was diagnosed that was it from the Rheumatologist. I was dismissed to just deal with it with a low dose antidepressant. No aftercare.

Thanks again. Hope you feel better soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.