Fibromyalgia and Menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi folks.  I was diagnosed with Fibro nearly a year ago, and at 49 I'm also starting to experience some menopausal symptoms (particularly excessive sweating and fatigue.  Or is the fatigue caused by the Fibro?  Feels like a double-whammy some days!).  Does anyone else out there have times when they wonder which is which?  I'm interested to hear how people manage these symptoms.  FYI, I'm on 30mg of Nortyptilline nightly; panadeine when needed, and I try to keep up the yoga and walking.  I'll soon be moving to a new home with a bath and I think this will make a major difference!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zoey, yes I went through the same feeling of not knowing if my symptoms were due to fibro or the menopause, or which symptoms were which. A few years on, my symptoms are managed as well as possible, but often the meds prescribed cause their own side effects! I take Pregabalin for the fibro,  maximum dose after increasing gradually. Also Amitriptyline 20mg at night. I take co-codamol 15/500 or 30/500, or Tramadol 100mg if the pain is really bad. If you are able to manage yoga and walking that's excellent. And for me, a bath is essential. I use magnesium flakes in the bath, and really feel my joints and muscles more relaxed afterwards. The other piece of advice I would offer is; don't assume that any new symptom is due to fibro. Other conditions can develop, so always check out new symptoms with your GP. Hope this helps. x
    • Posted

Hi Jeanne and thanks for your response.  Good advice about remembering that not all roads necessarily lead to fibro.  I'm counting the days (2 weeks to go) until we move house.  I may never get out of the bath!!
    • Posted

WHAT I would do to have a bath in my place!!!   OH, heaven..   I found having a bath in the evening did help my body to relax better to aid sleep...
  • Posted

I have had Fibro for over 8 years and have had the menopause for the same amount of time, So I am asking myself the same question about the forgetfulness and fatigue. I know that Fibro means we are not able to go into a proper deep restorative sleep due to lack of seratonin. This is the main cause for our decline . We are not able to renew ourselves through a good night of sleep. I am taking HRT and having Epsom salt baths. I do find my legs twitch at night . I cannot sit down for a long time without feeling very stiff when I get up. I am praying they will find a cure. Meanwhile I do not trust the medication we are being given. I have had bad side effects too and have two young sons to look after alone as I am a single mother
    • Posted

Hi Pollmadoll (love the handle).  I've also been down the solo mum track, so totally sympathise.  I'm glad I didn't get this disorder until well after the kids had flown the coop!  I agree about the Epsom Salts - they're a wonderful thing!
  • Posted

Hi zoey,

I get excessive sweating or hiperhydrosis and am always boiling and have to change my pyjamas three times a night from soaking night sweats. ☔️

Im not going through the menopause. I am 39.

ive been diagnosed for a few weeks but have had it for ten years.

i know how you feel its rubbishy isn't it. 

This disease is incredibly frustrating. I am mourning my old life at the moment as I have evil pain all over.

flipping fibromyalgia grrrr!

hope that helps

best wishes

celia xx

• Posted

Hi Celia.  "Rubbishy" is totally the right word!  I'm lucky to only have it mildly so far, but my sweats come during the day as well as at night.  This blasted thing affects us all in ways as unique as we are!
  • Posted

After a serious MVA I had issues with my body's  thermometer going to full extremes...  I would be so bone cold and sometimes (and I still have this problem) when my 'heat switch turn on) I would experience like being hit in the mid section with a torpedo and the Pain so excruciating all the way to my extremities !   It's would feel like the pain travelling out to my limbs was trying to excape by blowing out of the tips of my toes and finger tips..   So dam painful and I would sound like someone who's just been gut shot or had their knees smashed in..   Thankfully this experience doesn't happen as often now, but I still get the extreme full volcanic body heat and sweats, day and night.  I can feel them coming on.  Some days it's on going 24/7..   I am well passed menopause as it passed real fast due to my accident.  Head and spinal truama's saw to that..
    • Posted

Hi Deb.  I know what you mean about the f**ked thermometer!!  During the day I get soooo hot and sweaty, then in the evenings I go all cold and have to pile on layers of merino (although I also blame the lack of insulation in NZ homes for that), then get the sweats at night.  A bundle of fun, huh?  Best of luck for the rest of your recovery journey - sounds like it's a long haul one.
    • Posted

13 yrs after my MVA.... and I can say that the stiffness, aching, pressure points, PAIN in 'broken areas' and down to the peripheral are as bad as they were from the getgo on the MVA.  So this Fibro thing for me has been with me since very early days.   Head Trauma caused Central Nervous System issues I was told. 

I agree about the poor insulation in our block homes, and some wooden homes of earlier builds.  I am sadly in one.  A unit made of Block and NO insulation at all. grrr  But I am grateful to have a roof over my head!!

• Posted

Hi Zoey you have all my sympathy. I've been post menopause for almost 3 years diagnosed in March last year with FM and have also hypothyroidism since 2010. You can imagine like yourself don't know what's causing me what. Between the sleepless nights pains all over and to top it off the sweats. I love my Epsom salt baths they help relax my achey body. Current only on cocodamol 30/500 but was on lyrica for few years but it was making me worse. Only working part time tried exercise class but it was making me worse.. Had more thyroid bloods taken last week so get results tomorrow see if it's thyroid playing up or my FM. Like Jeanne81532 don't be fobbed off by docs that everything is Fibro. Take care x
  • Posted

Hi Zoey

I have fibro and went through an early menopause; what helped me was taking sage capsules 3 times a day and sage tea at night which helped with the menopause symptoms for me and a fan also helped.I coped really well with the menopause.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.