Fibromyalgia and mental health

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 years ago when I was 25, and bipolar disorder 2 years before then. At the moment I'm having really bad pain in my back and hips can barely sleep on codine and have ibroprofen gel to use on my muscles but nothing seems to be helping and it's just getting worse to the point when my mental health has deteriorated rapidly and I feel really low can't stop crying etc spoke to the mental health team today and they recommended coming to a forum. My question is does anyone have any advice about what I could do  at home any home remedies or technics that could possibly help with pain management? Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried exercise?

If not try daily jogging. It may help your MH and psychosomatic pain.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, sorry to hear you are not well. Sadly with fibromyalgia all the different coping mechanisms vary from people to people, so this is a good forum to use to get support, hopefully people will suggest ways, do try and don't give up. Looking after your mental health first is important in my opinion, I'm doing different relaxation techniques, just the sound of nice relaxing music lying on the couch or bed. Just try and focus on something nice. I've tried yoga which is good and can help. I've also tried intense massage and acupuncture but there's a cost involved. Acceptance and rest. Feel better ?

• Posted

I wish I had something to suggest...and I have tried it all. I am at an all time low and the pain is making me angry. I have heard that pain can alter your personality, especially when it’s chronic.

Does anyone else have this experience?

I too would like to know how I can live without intense pain morning, noon and night. Sleeping was my solace, my recovery time, but even that has been taken away from me.

Any direction or advice is appreciated.

• Posted

This is to col1800 too yes this horrible condition can alter your personality as it affects our mental health, from being very sociable and outgoing I started to become a recluse, not wanting to go out wanting to die. But I'm starting to learn if I can accept it it's fighting the battle. I've tried lots as well and not saying I have answers but we can't give up. It frustrates me that considering more people are diagnosed there isn't a lot of help from the professionals but honestly try and be consistent. I actually did find something that worked but was extremely painful that I couldn't put myself through it watch this space might try something new again in the next few days. Don't give up hope guys.

• Posted

This is to amanda 87892...thank you! I find just sharing and reading helps me to know I am not alone. There is comfort in this even though I do not wish FM on anyone!!! I joined this discussion to give hope and find hope. I hope both are happening.

Have you tried acupuncture with magnesium malate and St. John’s Wort? I have only heard from one person who had nerve damage from shingles and these 3 treatments together worked wonders. I know acupuncture gives some relief - mostly because it is so relaxing for an hour. Just curious if anyone has tried these vitamins/minerals and what has been their experience?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.