Fibromyalgia and Multiple Sclerosis . . .

Posted , 8 users are following.

:shock:

Help please - I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about 7 years ago and then last year I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I do not know where one condition or disease starts and find it very hard dealing with it - as something that is good for FM is not good for MS - take this heat - really bad for MS - but good for FM.

Is it common for people to have both an Auto Immune Disease and an Auto Immune Condition - and if so, any ideas on treating sleep problems..

Thanks

Peanut

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peanut

Welcome to this forum you will find that they are all a great bunch here and we help each other as much as possibble swapping ideas and info.

I am in a similar situation to you. I have SLE and Fibro and the synptoms overlap so much that its very difficult to sort out what is going off. SLE is treated with immune supressants and fibro is not. SLE sunshine is a big NO and fibro likes it.

I too had a sleep problem as in far too much and also had other problems like depression and anxiety due to my illness. In the end I decided that I needed to do something about it so the meds given for fibro which is a mild antidepressant which helps you sleep properly and is also a mild painkiller was upped to a dose used to treat anxiety and depression and I feel so much better due to sleeping better.I wasn't going into the deep sleep you need and upping them sorted this out. I think they also help you to go to and stay asleep.

Hi it is very common with SLE to have more than one auto immune problem, last year i also had an overactive thyroid too which is also auto immune and again the symptoms overlap.

Take care of yourself.

Hi Linda Lindy Tess Di and Ses and anyone I have missed hope you are all well.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Peanut

I am Tess and have fibro! I have trouble with not having a thyroid gland as had it removed due to cancer so have to take drugs the regulate everything. Lizy like you has two conditions going on and can understand what it must be like for you. I hope you can get some of the answers you need. As for sleep like lizy i take a low dose antidepressant called ampytripline. It is suppose to help regulate sleep. I have no trouble getting off to sleep at nights but find I miss out on the deep sleep and feel the next day like I haven't slept. I also read that with fibro it is quite important to try and do some exercise and also get up at the same time and go to bed at the same time to help sleep. Doing the exerise gives you more energy and the endorphines help with the pain.

Hope you are all doing ok everyone. Good to see you on again Lizy and hope your family are all ok.

Love Tess x x

• Posted

Hi Peanut,

I`m Linda and I have fibro too! I also have an underative thryoid, suffer with depression and several other things which are connected to the fibro. I also take amitriptyline for sleep and pain. Like tess I`ve been told to try and do some exercise to help with the stiffness and sleep pattern. I find this very difficult as I suffer a great deal with chronic fatigue conected with the fibro. Had to give up work and some days find it difficult just to function and do the smallest household tasks, let alone exercise, but do try on good days. If I manage to get a few good days I think the exercise helps, but that doesn`t happen very often! As Lizzy and Tess say we are a friendly lot so come on and chat when you can.

Tess and Lizzy, hope things are ok with you both. Start a very difficult two weeks this Sunday, the council are giving Mum a new kitchen and bathroom, and as she won`t understand or remember what is happening will have to do the 80 mile round trip daily for most of that time! Chronic Fatigue is rearing its ugly head already, just thinking about it! Lol

Di and Ses hope you are both ok haven`t heard from you for a while.

Well, will come on when I can and update you with the Mum saga, take care all

Love Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda

I wish you all the best for the next few weeks, and i hope the alterations are completed on time for you. I spent the whole of last sat asleep and all night too I can't imagine how i do it, but my body just won't let me function at times. I hope you are paceing yourself! whoever invented that word has obviously not led a normal life.

Tess how are you? Have you got anything exciting planned. I'm off to my Mums later as it is her birthday today. Also got a heavy duty work commitment for the next two weeks.

Di Lindy and Ses I hope you are taking things easy and making the most of the sun today. I've got plenty of washing on the line today.

Take care all.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Lizzy, Linda & Everyone!

Linda hope you can pace yourself for the next two weeks. Bless you thats a lot of driving to do. Will be thinking about you.

Lizzy I went to my daughters birthday party at her house yesterday as she is 24 today. The same birthday as your mum! She is going out tonight with about ten friends for a meal in town. I am seeing her later for lunch and helping her tidy up after yesterday.

She had us all round but was only 12 of us. Not quite as many as I had lol.

Hope your mum has a good birthday too.

Going to Nottingham next saturday and staying over in motor home as it is my son's Engagement Party. It is a belated one as they have been engaged for 15 months and finally been able to afford a party. It is a themed party and got to dress in toga's. Claire went out and bought us some material she has cerise pink and I have a lovely purple. The material is a shiny satin. We will convert the material with a help of a lot of safety pins into a toga. Will be wearing something underneath though as don't want it to fall down lol.

I hope everyone else is coping ok and have a good day.

Love Tess x x

• Posted

No one said yes or no. It went to thyroid. It's been removed 35 years.

I wanna know MS &Fibro! I was diagnosed MS 2004, but more like 70s or 80s!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.