Fibromyalgia and pip

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last week, I also have severe Emphysema which I receive lower rate pip since 2014, I received a new form from pip on Monday pip1043, making sure your award is right, the answering to the questions are( easier) (harder) ( no change) I am unsure how to answer should I explain about the fibromyalgia as the original claim was for the emphysema, I am in constant pain one way or another, any advice would be so appreciated, steffie

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I would let the DWP know of this recent diagnosis a sap and send in the medical evidence of this diagnosis
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply, I am awaiting for the hospital to send me a letter regarding the diagnosis of fibromyalgia,I will send this in with the form to pip, I have got till the 22nd of this month to get form back to pip,just hope now I get letter from hospital in time, steffie
  • Posted

Unfortunately fybriomyalgia is a very under rated illness, a lot of the time you have to appeal to fight for your right. It's mainly because it's not as visible illness, I mean if you had one leg or arm it's very noticeable. However yes I would answer the questions describing the differences that fabriomyalgia affects you, you have nothing to lose. Good luck

• Posted

Hi stephanie97393

Yes u should inform them about everything. I was diagnosed of epilepzy recently

I got my pip lower rate due to my back and fibro but i informed them about epilepzy i dont surpose it will effect my lower rate claim but im still awaiting a desision from them its been 2 months so dont expect a quick reply. I went for a new assessment too and had to prove my symtoms i already claimed for they wanted proof of this in the last year so what im saying is for ur emphsemia u will need a letter confirming this in the last year.

Also good luck because they r cracking down on everything. My uncle has had 2 strokes and 4 different types of epilepzy strokes have effected his speack and mobility and they stopped his pip he had to appeal. He has it now but took time. If i was u get proper advice and help filling in the form CAB or ur local advice centre

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, I do hope you get a reply soon from pip, as it is very stressful not know,I waited nearly a year to get a decision from pip for emphysema,I know it has been made so hard to get anything, as if we are not suffering enough stress and anxiety, I only have to the 22nd of this month to get form back, cab are always fully booked , so it's down to me, I will do what I can, steffie

• Posted

Im ok i get the lower rate but if they say i cant get it my doc might say i can work as i want to but due to recent events ive been taken off my meds and can hardly move and having attacks which make me tierd so sleep alot so want need it like u said we have enough stress so im trying not to care but its gone too far now i just excist not live i cant move i sleep alot and alls i want to do is have a normal life n work have a sociall life
    • Posted

I doubt your doctor would say you are fit for work, if you are having attacks which seem to exhaust you, sometimes the doctors try giving you a break from certain meds to see how you cope, I would go back to your doctor and tell him how you are feeling, and the stress it is causing you, after all they are meant to be there to help,are you claiming ESA, if not I would apply for it , it's worth a try, steffie

• Posted

Oh dont get me rong my docs r very supportive im off the meds because i done something silly but im going back nx wk to talk to them its only been 6wks but meds r clear from me and im feeling it. Yes i get all benifits i just want to work before all this i was a work aholic and this is all getting me very low. Thats all but thank u stephanie
  • Posted

I got help from a welfare officer to fill in my forms and she also went with me when I had to appeal, she was amazing, my doctor also supplied my notes for the full year previous and you ought to have seen the size of them, even welfare officer said she hadn't dealt with anyone with as much evidence, so it might help to contact your doctor also xx

• Posted

Hi Steffie,

I go along with the what others have said about letting them know about the Fibro.  

I was waiting for a letter from the hospital and time was running out to return the forms, so I rang them and asked if they could send the letter by email as well just in case the one by post didn't arrive in time.  They did this, but the one by post also arrived.  

With regard to filling out the form, this was my comment in another post (shown below) and it applies here also.  

Because of the arthritis in my hands and shoulders, I'm not able to write very well so a friend of mine helped me to complete the form. In actual fact, the only thing written on the form was "please see notes attached"

My friend and  I went through the questions, I answered them verbally and she typed everything up for me.   I read somewhere that it was necessary to explain how the disability effects you on a daily basis and to be honest there was not enough room on the form to explain things, she really went into detail bless her.   

• Posted

Hi stephanie97393 I would definitly let the dwp know about fibromyalgia and also any other conditions you may have. They need to know everything that you have wrong with you health wise. I wrote down everything I have when I filled in my form including the 2 TIAs ive had.They will also need proof eg letters etc with your diagnoses on., and also any perscriptions of meds supporting evidence to what you have wrong with you. Hope this makes sense brain not in gear today. take care
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Kaz, I have an appointment with my doctor on the 8th of this month, hopefully he will give me the paper work I need,seems I have Little time  to get it altogether before the 22nd of this month, I cannot think straight half the time, steffie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.