fibromyalgia and pregabalin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else take pregabalin for fibromyalgia.  If so has this caused large weight gain and how if it it has has this been resolved.  I have gained a tremendous amount and need ideas how to stop this. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Easy way to stop gaining weight with Pregablin...Wean yourself off it....I were on it for 2.5 years the doc would not let me come off them, they were making me dizzy, felt drunk, dry mouth,slurred words, couldn't talk properly everything came out jumbled. And worst of all I gained loads of weight. So I thought sod it, and weaned myself off them slowly. Within 3 weeks I lost 12lb! All I have now is Oramorph and Paracetamol, doc will not give me anything else. Good luck...Anne...
    • Posted

Oh my goodness I can't speak properly either sometimes it's quite bad. I fall over a lot too and broke my arm right under the shoulder joint on day after boxing day. I can't swallow at times either they have blamed all this on the fibromyalgia but I don't think it is. 
  • Posted

I take 300mg of Pregabalin twice daily and I can't say I've gained any weight, I've gradually built up from 75 mg to where I am now and without it I don't think I could function. Could your weight gain be down to decreased mobility rather than the medication?
    • Posted

I had my stomach stapled in 1994 then spent 3years suffering from anorexia nervosa. The weight started going on when the pregabalin was introduced. Despite several times asking to stop pregabalin I am repeatedly told NO. I did try myself and halved it but the withdrawal was terrible and I went back to the original 300mg.
    • Posted

Wow I am truely surprised at the amount of Pregabalin that every one takes...I only take, 50mg, 75mg on very bad days & I struggle to focus on that amount. My Doc tried to up mine & I refused as I hate not feelin 'safe' on a wobbly day! I do tend to have a high pain threshold, & managed for 8 yrs without taking anything. Yes I have put on a little bit of weight, & being just under 5ft & top heavy I am very consious of it. But at the end of the day, if it is giving me some relief from this horror, then it must be worth it I guess? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.