Fibromyalgia arm pain

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in February and am finding it hard to pace myself if I don't I get a gnawing pain in both arms where they meet my shoulders and it moves down and they feel weak and heavy for hours after just doing some housework. I still work but only can manage part time. Also palms of hands always hurt not good when my job is using my hands lol. Does anyone else have this sort of pain I am 52 and look fine and feel that I have to hide how exhausted I feel from my colleagues because they are my age and carry on the way I used to only 12 months ago keeping on top of work house etc. sorry to go on so long but would be grateful for any advice thanks hazel39438

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, sounds familiar thats how I am. You are very lucky to be working, wish I could. I love to sew for people but can only manage about an hour these days.

Yesterday I brushed up leaves for half an hour, today I am paying for it. Take no notice of your work colleages, and don't suffer in silence. Tell them how you are...Good Luck..Anne..

• Posted

Hi flower lady,

I've been suffering with fibro for years now. I am 40 years old but my body says 80. I too raked some leaves the other day and was in pain for days.  I can't take this anymore! I love the gym but can't go because I'm so depressed. I too hide my pain at work and suffer in silence. I would like to take a break from work so that I can focus on getting better. Any recommendations?

• Posted

I get pain in my arms like they're too heavy for my body which is horrible. I sometimes lose the grip in my hands and drop things which is frustrating. Have to really concentrate energy into gripping. Sometimes I get a feeling as if the bone is bruised. Does anyone get anything like that? I'm only 26 but my body feels far older sad hope you are having less pain at the moment xx
    • Posted

Hello lion1708!  I too noticed that I drop things far more frequent than my colleagues at work. And with repetitive reaching at work my arms burn and I feel stabbing pain. Weird thing is I only feel pain to the right side of my body. I'm 40 years old and was very athletic most of my life?? I have gained nearly 50 pounds because I'm depressed and my body feels 80. Do feel sensitive to loud crowds? 

• Posted

Hi hazel, hope your feeling a little better at the moment,

I have fibro and I'm 56 I work full time but I really don't know how I get out of bed sometimes, I know that feeling in my arms and palms of my hands very well,

I have pain almost everywhere from headaches my neck down to my toes, day after day night after night, I'm just waiting for a break even for one day

I to feel I need to hide how I feel from people I work with, but I do work with some lazy people who sit around chatting and I do all the running around, I get mad at myself for doing this because it only adds to my pain and exhaustion but knowing my luck if I sat down for two minutes I'd get caught out,

I know this sounds daft but yesterday I peeled 7 parsnips in work for the residents dinner, well omg I was in agony all day night and still am today with pain in my right neck shoulder arm and hand, thank goddess I have a day off today or I couldn't of gone in to work,

My house is a mess today because my husband was tiling all day yesterday, sorry all you men out there, but typical man cut all the tiles in the garden with all the doors open, and the dusty grit is everywhere 😁

So hazel your deffinatly not on your own,

Hope you have a better day.

• Posted

Morning Hazel,

Im currently being diagnosed...or going through the process. I know exactly how you feel but im only 27 just turned this october. I work at a computer 8.5 hours a day and that is a struggle alone. I work for my family and had problems for years and only getting diagnosed now so my family just think im being moany as usual or being a hypochondriac as they call it because i have moaned about pain alot this past few years so i get no sympathy. I have sleep apnea too so im not getting any sleep im falling asleep at my desk i atart work at 8.30am and finish at 5pm go home and clean then cook n by that point im on the sofa or in bed falling asleep or trying to sleep. Im having problems with my hands and forearms atm even holding my phone to type this is hard. Do painkillers help..i need a solution as my arms are aching worse than ever not sure what to do about it either. Hoping to cut my hours maybe go in earlier finish earlier so i can nap through the day and not at my desk. Gentle hugs to u xx

• Posted

Hi, there.

I have pains mainly in my upper arms. Depending on a day, front, side, or back hurt more. Sometimes shoulder joints are hurting so much, it's hard to stay laying down. My arms are weak and I feel like my hands will sleep off the wheels when I am driving. I am am accountant, and have to use a computer mouse a lot. Any movement using my hand hurts my upper arms. I have bought all kinds of keyboards and mouse to get comfortable, but nothing really helps. Lyrica helps with the nerve pain and Amitriptyline helps me stay asleep. But they make me feel very groggy all day, and adds on to my already foggy brain. I realized after a while that I am constantly trying to overcompensate my discs above and below c5 and c6, which is where I had anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. My arm pains started after the surgery. So I need to repeatedly tell myself to take a deep breath and relax my body. Stretching helps a lot. Massage is even better, I get shots in my discs once a month but getting tired of putting a bandage. I want to find a permanent solution.

• Posted

I have a swollen muscles in my bisceps on a daily basis and I find my strengh isn't the same any more I can't hold things for very long as I get shoulder pain and pain in lower arms I also suffer with my legs and neck
  • Posted

I have fibromyalgia pain in my arms to. Real bad goes to neck shoulders head. Now i think its going to my legs
    • Posted

Hi, i was diognosed some years ago, i can relate to all of your symptoms  with the addition of very painfull legs, i do go to work but i pay for it. i take lots of medication it masks the pain a little but that in itself as bad side effects...memory loss being the main one for me, i like most sufferers are looking for the alternatives to medication, but i find that what works for one does not work for another. i am interested in any pointers which could make life a little better. all the best. David.
    • Posted

Hey. Find me on skype anissa.brown71 . ill give u some groups i am in. Cymbalta i think has helped some and tramadol. Find me

Anissa brown

• Posted

Hi David,  

Do you experience brain fog? I'm so forgetful. I'm on meds they sort of help. I don't take pain meds because I cannot function and they make me feel like a zombie. I just have to ignore the pain and keep on working. I'm afraid that I might not be able to work anymore. But I'm the one who pays all the bills.  

• Posted

Oh my gosh Hazel, I get it!!!  My arms are killing me!

I've been in excruciating pain for the last 3 years.  Up until 2 months ago the doctors keept coocking their heads like puppies triing to figure out what I was saying.  But then a doctor told me I had fibromyalga.  The news was heart breaking, but when  looked it up, it made perfect sence (which made me cry....a lot).  So, with the pain, I've gone back to work.  My arms still feel like they are on fire at times, but mostly weak.  I've been to chiropractors, physical therapists, and have had numerous x-rays and mri's on me.    You're not alone...  God Bless You & Me.

• Posted

I have the exact issues with arm and shoulder pain,followed by the weakness!

you are the first to mention the Weakness! It's awful. I feel as if I can't lift my arms!

I how ever was also diagnosing with Rheumatoid Arthritis

Not sure which is causing thus.  My doctor doesn't seem to know what it is!!😩

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.