Fibromyalgia arm pain

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in February and am finding it hard to pace myself if I don't I get a gnawing pain in both arms where they meet my shoulders and it moves down and they feel weak and heavy for hours after just doing some housework. I still work but only can manage part time. Also palms of hands always hurt not good when my job is using my hands lol. Does anyone else have this sort of pain I am 52 and look fine and feel that I have to hide how exhausted I feel from my colleagues because they are my age and carry on the way I used to only 12 months ago keeping on top of work house etc. sorry to go on so long but would be grateful for any advice thanks hazel39438

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi hazel...i have been dealing this since 2000, try alternating heating pads then ice packs. i am going to be 59 in august , i am walking with a walker , i too see others my age running around and i look like i am '80' !
    • Posted

Yes I use ice a lot the oesteopath told me to take inflammation down,but he does not recommend heat,but what ever suits one.

try anything would we not.

joan

• Posted

Hi terig thank you for your message I do use a hot water bottle on arms shoulders etc and find that it helps but have problems with cold pain gets worse will try heating pads though thanks.  Just got to accept it I suppose but not going down without a fight smile  hazel
    • Posted

Hazel

try getting yourself a wheat bag that heats in the microwave you can wrap that round more easily than a bottle . I use that round my neck but ice n my back .

joan

• Posted

Thanks Joan I'll get one sounds good and keep bottle for feet.  

Hazel

• Posted

Hi Joan,

Ice or cold seems to aggravate my pain. I heard buying a heating blanket is very helpful. I know being warm helps with the muscle stiffness.  I'm taking cymbalta and I buspar for fibro and depression and anxiety. They sort of help but still in pain. 

• Posted

Hi Hazel, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at the end of January. I have been off work for nearly 6 months but am hoping to go back on reduced hours in a couple of weeks. I also have pain in my arms, hands and thumbs. I use a computer all day at work. I am also learning to pace myself but have not got it right yet! It has helped not being in work as it has allowed me to rest when I need to and only spend short periods of time on housework.Would you be able to take some time off to concentrate on your pacing? I am on Amitryptaline (25mg) at night. This helps with sleeping and some of the pain but I am very groggy in a morning. I have started Tai Chi and this is helping me to relax so my muscles don't hurt quite as much. I also try to go for a short walk most days. I find walking eases my pains but if I walk too far I am exhausted. I know I am nowhere near as ill as some people so I try to remain positive but it is not always easy. Sorry this is so long. denise56617
    • Posted

Hi Denise thank you for your message.   It is hard to pace things and work as well.   I work for a plant nursery and this is starting the busiest time of the year and I coulnt let them down as there are only a few staff who are already struggling because I have halved my hours.    Be very careful not to take on too much too soon when you return to work.   I'm glad you said you do tai chi I had thought of trying it but the classes are for an hour and a half which seems a long time when you are already tired, is it all standing or do they have periods of sitting.    I haven't taken amitriptyline cause I don't want to feel anymore groggy than I already do.     Do you have pain in your palms and fingers too.   Please let me know how tai chi goes.     Take care.  

Hazel

• Posted

Hi Hazel,

how are you today?

thumping head here but what's new.

Joan

• Posted

Hi Joan me too and fingers are killing haven't done much today but at least it's a day off work    Hopefully feel better tomorrow cause I'm at work in afternoon.     Hope your head clears.   Hazel
    • Posted

Hi Hazel, I do have pains in my palms and fingers, also my thumbs. It was just my fingers and arm on my left hand side at first and doctor thought it was tendonitis. I persevered at work for another 6 months but by then the pain was all over the place and my doctor signed me off. My tai chi class is only for 45 mins. It is all standing but some people sit down on a chair for a rest if they need to and just do the arm movements. Take care

Denise

• Posted

Hi denise

mine started in feet the doctor said oa and tendinitis then one finger now in all fingers palms arms then doctor thought ra but rheumatologist said fibromyalgia and oa prob not rheumatoid but may call me back in 6 months. Would like to try tai chi  will have to give it a go.  

Hazel x

• Posted

Hi Denise.  I was diagnosed a few weeks ago.  You said that you felt groggy in the morning after taking your Amitriptyline.  I take Nortriptyline 25mg (it's a newer drug than Amitriptyline, but does essentially the same thing).  I've found that the secret to not being groggy in the morning is to take it about four hours before you go to bed.  This works for me.  I'm also beginning a Tai Chi course, which is really good.  Best wishes.  
    • Posted

Hi Denise! This was very helpful. I'm 40 years old and been suffering from fibro for the last few years. I can't even go to the gym anymore because I'm always in pain and tired.  I just learned that fatigue is one of fibro symptoms. Wow! I thought I was becoming more lazy cause my age lol. My house is a mess and I can barely finish folding clothes.  My work is fast paced and I'm on the computer most of the time. I recently started experiencing tingling and stabbing to my right thumb and pointer finger.  I call out sick a whole lot! I recently applied for disability because I just cannot deal with people when I'm in pain. Do you think they wil approve me?

• Posted

Hi hazel139438,  I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2011 after many years of wondering what was wrong with me.  The pain in your arms and hands will come and go, unfortunately, no matter what kind of pain medication you are on.  The best thing to do is rest if you can.  Being tired is part of this disease.  B12 shots can help with that.  I tried working with this, but finally had to retire with disability.  Your Rheumatologist can be very helpful in filing for this. 

I take the generic brand of Neurontin at night and this helps me sleep most nights.  Once you get on some pain medication you will have some days of relief.  Sorry I couldn't be more positive for you.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.