Fibromyalgia diagnosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm 18 ,I've been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I'm still learning about it. I was just wondering if anyone else feels like their hips grind or 'pop out' I've also been given amitriptyline to help me sleep but I've been taking it for a week now and I'm still awake for most of the night. Any help would be much appreciated. :D

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica, I'm amazed to hear from young people with the FM issue....did you go thru an emotional or physical trauma that pushed you to the FM syndrome?   I was hit at age 61 with emotional trauma and that on top of many years of stressors pushed my body over.    

My hips are not the issue with FM, it's more nerve pain in arms and upper back and legs too, but I deal with osteoarthritis and that is an issue that crosses over too with all this....Joy 76 US 

• Posted

I've had trouble with my bones for years but my dad is waiting for a double lung transplant and I think worrying ans stressing about him has contributed. 

Jess

• Posted

dear jessica98566

I have two replacement hips but didn't experience the popping you mention until quite recently after years of problems. I had this effect in my legs, around the knees and the sound it produced was like a series of pistol shots. I wasamazed at the noise it made and thought I was about to rumble to pieces, it was so bad.

When it stopped I found That I was still in one piece and I think it must have been linked to the connective tissue.I have never experienced anything like it before.

Wishing you all the best

Brenda

• Posted

Hi there Jessica, yes I experience grinding feing in my hips, they feel  so stiff. I feel 90 years old not 46! I too have started on Amitriptyline only taken 5 days so far and it has helped me sleep but I'm making a conscious effort to wind down each night. 

I take my meds 12 hrs before I normally get up, I have a bath, moisturise my skin ( to help with this infernal itch) switch the TV off and try to switch off. I know it's difficult, there's still nights I'm awake til 5 in the morning, fall asleep and then I'm awake again at 7 with the kids for school! We need sleep for many reasons and it's very important we get enough. I've cut caffeine out completely too. Try a bedtime routine , it heps me. Anything is worth a try. I meditate too, so it helps when I'm trying to switch off. Maybe it's something you can look into, there's plenty of info out there, internet etc, I'm no new age junkie! Meditation is a good life skill, helps manage stress levels too and it's completely natural. Sorry this is a bit long winded! There's loads of helpful info on this forum, hopefully you'll get a few suggestions to help with the sleep issues. Best wishes x

• Posted

Hi Jessica. I've yet to properly diagnosed but my hips are ny main problem too. I take alot of painkillers which take the kick off the pain but the only thing that gives me complete relieve is a hot bath! Maybe try that before bed? X
  • Posted

Hi Jessica, yes I have exactly the same problem as you-more my left hip-it kept feeling as though it had popped out of place. After years of x rays and being told there's nothing wrong with my hip they found I have a laberal tear which is where my hip joint keeps sliding out a bit. It doesn't actually 'dislocate' but slides into the gap where the tear is and is extremely painful.

You are very young to be diagnosed! My fibro started at 19 but was only diagnosed about 4 1/2 years ago, so hopefully you'll get the help you need before your symptoms get too bad.

I also have problems sleeping. I took 50mg amitriptyline for years and have just been weaned off as I was struggling with the side effects in a morning-horrible 'hangover' feeling and trying to get up in the morning,but they do take a while to get into your system properly-up to 4weeks and in the meantime they can make ur sleeplessness worse for a short time.

i hope you get sorted soon Hun, good luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.