fibromyalgia driving me mad

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have osteoarthritis, now my GP has told me I have fibromyalgia,

I was on and still am on, antidepressants,

Tramadoll,pregagablin,and Bustran patches,

The thing is for the past 3wks or so my

Hands have been so painful,restless legs,

And feeling tired all the time,I can do a bit of housework, then want to sleep again.

Can anyone tell me does it get worse than

This

Thanks

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne..I were diagnosed with our friend Fibro almosy 4 years ago now, but have had it much longer. I only take Oramorph, it takes the edge off the pain. I try to go out daily for short strolls to help ease the pain in my legs, most of the time it makes it worse but I need to go out doors even if its only around the garden. I am most definatly worse now than I were a couple of years ago.Really bad headaches, shoulders, arms, wrists and hands, fingers swell,hips, legs. My knees are dreadfully sore with a stinging sensation and my ankles and feet are extremely painful. (should be put down really) I am completely exhausted and hardly do anything around the house at the moment. I used to take Pregabalin, but weaned myself off it as the side effects were awful, especially feeling as though i were drunk.Did not have any vodka either. Keep well.biggrin Oh and just to add, the last few days I feel really depressed, and feel like ending things! Awful arn't I..
    • Posted

Hi Anne - your the first person Ive seen to mention the sore knees with stinging sensation.  I have a whole range of other fibro symptoms but just the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my knees are painful if I kneel down and the skin to the side stings like its been grazed or burned.  The patch that stings has lost some surface sensation too - if I touch it with my fingers I cant feel the touch in that area.  Freaked me out a bit at first but like all fibro symptoms they creep into  your life and you start to live with them.  I'm full of anger presently - I want to know what caused this and I want to hear there's a way of dealing with all this - so sick and tired of being scurried out of the GP surgery with yet another useless prescription.  
    • Posted

Oh - just remembered something I wanted to share.  I forced myself to do some gardening over the weekend.  I love my garden and I've neglected it badly over the last year or so due to the pain etc.  I determined I wanted to tidy it and plant some new plants and hanging baskets for summer colour.  Pottered around garden centres etc and bought loads and then realised I had to deal with the new plants or they would die.  I planted up all the baskets, repotted an olive tree and even planted a small apple tree.  I had in mind I would probably be bed ridden for the rest of the week as a result of all that exertion but I enjoyed doing it and on balance felt the resulting pain would be worth it.  Miracle of miracles I'm in no more agony today than usual and in fact my right arm (which is the worst bit) is actually slightly less painful today than before.  Still down at heart for having to contend with all this but happily surprised that all that exercise seems to have done more good than bad.
    • Posted

Morning Loxie

Well done you for doing all that gardening. I used to do all the garden work, mowing etc but I am now unable to do hardly any. I feel so guilty as my husband has to do it all as well as going to work. I do attempt to weed, but that never lasts as I can't go on my knees as they are so sore and if I bend too much I go dizzy. Last night I had no sleep due to the pain, even the Oramorph is not touching it. My whole body is so sore and painful, and its now really getting me down. Sorry for the moan. I have got a bridesmaids dress waiting to be shortened, but can't do tat either as my neck hurts so bad. Hope you are having a good day.biggrin

• Posted

oh Anne - I'm so sorry to hear you're in such distress with it.  It's so horrible and defeating isn't it?  I paced myself in the garden but the more I did the more I was enjoying it so I got a second wind so to speak.  I didn't do any kneeling - I get a sharp stinging pain if I kneel, so I sat on the grass or a garden chair or stood up.  Can't grip well due to OA in my thumbs so did everything very slowly and carefully (had to move a big bag of pebbles, so I opened the bag, put a few of the pebbles one by one into a small bucket and did dozens of trips just to move the one bag).  It's just hateful that we can't do 'normal' things anymore isn't it.  I'm determined to keep doing a little gardening - I only have a tiny garden but it's packed solid with plants.  On bad days I shall take a chair and just snip and deadhead if that's all I can manage, at least I'll be outdoors and doing something to take my mind off the agonies.  I hope  you manage to get some sleep - nothing worse on top of all the rest than being wiped out by not getting enough good sleep. big hug. xxxx
  • Posted

Anne. Please have a look on the posts on LDN here. It might interest you.X
    • Posted

Oh Teresa,

Thanks for telling me about it,how you feel,I some times get really down,and no your not awful at all,I know how you feel there.

I am going to see my gp but couldn't get in until first week of June,typical!!!

The thing is he has told me I am on everything, he can put me on next step would be morphine and he doesn't want me to go on it Yet .

But he is not suffering the way I am!

I have know him year's and can talk and (swear) at him😊, oh by the way I am 61 this year.

Anyway hun I will let you know how I get on,look after yourself

• Posted

Hi Anne. I have had fibro and chron's for over 20 years ... In the early stages I also had other underlying problems causing a lot of the pain...over the years I have had pains in my back and hip and with gradual changes of lifestyle and a good balance of light exercising, pain relief and cutting out trigger foods that cause spasms of pain I feel I have found what works for me and it has become more manageable...with fibromyalgia you will have bad days and good days and it gets worse when we are stressed or worried the key is to find what works best for you...may your bad days become less and you have more good days...

Take care 

shirl

shirl

• Posted

Thank you so much 😊

Will catch up on here what happens

Next.

Hope you feel bit better soon

• Posted

Anne there is a discussion going on headed, 'fibromyalgia, the answer' a few days back I would advise you to definitely read it and act on info sy
  • Posted

I too have been in agony with my hands and feet.  I have a good GP.  I do a little then rest, I sleep a few hours here and there and walk around trying to distract myself from the pain, sometimes it reminds me of being in labour.  I find my life is a circle of this routine, I have accepted it more now, and so what if i am awake at 2 am, there is always something on t.v.  My biggest problem is some people around me expecting me to do things I used to and being rather uncaring.  I am now at the point that these people are making me feel worse so stuff them.  I have always been the carer not the patient.  I dont need looking after at the moment, but I now only talk to people who actually understand me.  I am lonely but I am not offended anymore by thoughtless people.  I dont want sympathy its just I feel low enough, being in pain constantly is tiring and yes I get irritable when I am told 'you don't look ill.'  Well maybe thats because I am only seen by these people when I feel a little normal for a couple of minutes, when I get home I am a tearful zombie. I sometimes feel bitter and wish they had it.  Anyway, sorry everyone thats my rant over today.  Some people really suck. Sorry if I have written this badly, I really cant see well today my eyes are blurry, and I am grumpy and fed up of seeing people going for family walks past my house whilst I am stuck in doors.  (I am usually a nice person, today I am not).  My GP changed my antidepressants so maybe when they kick in I might be able to pretend to smile once in a while!
    • Posted

Oh really feel for you. I can tell that you are a lovely person and you are definitely changing things in the right way, only talking to those who show understanding and those who don't can go swivel! Also pacing yourself as you do, sleeping as and when you need to etc. although you may have said some negative things you actually come across as a positive person. Gentle hugs to you. xx
  • Posted

Dr John Lowe treated and cured hundreds of grateful patients 'diagnosed ' with CFS and fibromyalgia . A brilliant clinician and researcher a director of the fibro research US , he and his colleagues 20 year research resulted in finding the missing ingredient for the treatment and cure of fibromyalgia is thyroid hormone , different patients needed different hormone replacement some T4 some T3 some NDT . he ignored the TSH results which said they were euthyroid and treated them for hypothyroidism . You can read for your self and come to your own conclusion   I suffered for years with normal blood tests for hypo doctors and endos refused to prescribe Any thyroid hormone because TSH results said there was nothing wrong connected to my thyroid , how wrong they were . 
    • Posted

This is one of the most interesting articles and very spot on.  What a brilliant paper. Just saw also that Dr. Lowe sadly passed away a few years ago :-( 
    • Posted

Yes Julie I just wish more people would read up on dr Lowe. A brilliant doctor who s aim in life was to heal and stop suffering . His research is conclusive that patients diagnosed with CFS and or fibromyalgia need thyroid hormone of some kind  to suit their individual needs  . He states even when all the usual blood test come back normal also sometimes anti thyroid peroxidase and antithyroglobulin ( may not show if the patient has been ill for a long time) the symptoms are the main consideration and the patient should be treated for hypothyroidism!! If a fine needle aspiration is done it may show festering inflammation of autoantibodies in the gland . If the thyroid is not doing its job then your body will suffer ! The symptoms are much the same for hypo and fibro and CFS . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.